• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 system

blu67

Since I’m starting from scratch with an engine, I was curious if anyone has experience with the Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI system. Comes with an intake, throttle body and distributor and everything ready to go. I’d just have to get heads and my rotating assembly squared away. It won’t have the stock look that a Sniper or Fitech has because it has fuel rails but that doesn’t matter to me as much. I just want to know if it’s a good product, good deal or if there’s anything you all have heard about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what its worth I would use that system over a simple carb body style EFI if I were to do it again. Mainly because those types of systems are much more application tunable than the early plug-n-play FiTech I used.

There was a guy on Youtube that did a comparison on his Bronco between the FiTech and the Pro-Flo 4. He definitely likes the Edelbrock system better but it does have it's flaws over the FiTech in some areas. (Wiring, price) But either way, the Edelbrock system comes with an intake and distributor already which I would need to add anyway. I would assume they would be matched perfectly for their application too. I just need to be sure to get appropriate heads and rotating assembly to give me the best performance.

I just watched a couple videos on the Edelbrock system and think I agree with you. The price surprised me. Last time I looked at something similar it was about $3k! Summit sells the Pro-Flo 4 complete set-up for about $1800. I paid a grand just for my FiTech TB unit.

I also like the look of the new software they use. Seems to be pretty simple but also like they have the programming needs covered too in a very simple format. Problem with the early FiTech stuff is simply finding a way to identify and then get to the parameters you need to change. And often times, you simply can't. Their newer stuff is better, I'm sure.

One thing I don't like about the rail systems is how they clutter up the look of the engine. I hate hoses and wires and there is not much you can do about that with port injection.

Bringing this back to the top. Any new information on the Pro-Flo 4 system? I read a nice article in the latest issue of F-100 Builder's Guide. (yes I still read magazines). They really seemed to like the ease of installation and tune-ability. I am looking for something to top off my 408 build for my Bronco. It is either this or back to Ford's SEFI system like in the fast back. I am leaning this way, just for a different approach.

Fuel rails are not really an issue, who looks under the hood of a Bronco anyway!

I am also interested in this system. Easy setup and installation. Way better then those gloryfid carburators.
Only thing I miss is a chrank sensor at the balancer . Don't like it in the distributor. And instead of 1 O2 sensor I would like 2 of them. For even better tuning. Maybe its for the Pro-Flo 5 ?
At to get it here, it will cost me $3k eventually.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I am also interested in this system. Easy setup and installation. Way better then those gloryfid carburators.
Only thing I miss is a chrank sensor at the balancer . Don't like it in the distributor. And instead of 1 O2 sensor I would like 2 of them. For even better tuning. Maybe its for the Pro-Flo 5 ?
At to get it here, it will cost me $3k eventually.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I too wonder why they don’t use two O2 sensors to balance it better. Maybe a call to Edelbrock can better answer that. I am also considering their fuel sump. The Bronco has two tanks and this would eliminate the need for adding a high pressure pump to each tank

I'd wager the single 02 sensor is simply a cost reduction in the kit price. My FiTech is set-up as such and I've checked plugs numerous times over the years now and everyone always looks the same. Coupled with a well designed intake for equal runner distribution of the intake charge one 02 reading gets the job done just fine. And don't knock the glorified carb systems too much. They work very well and have proven extremely reliable. Plus you can't get any simpler. I'd still go to a more advanced set-up next time but that is simply because it would be on a much higher end, high horsepower max boosted powerplant where better control and tunability would be required.

I'm not familiar with the dual tanks of a Bronco but could you not plumb them together so that the second would naturally drain to the primary as fuel level dropped allowing a single in-tank pump to push from both? An additional fuel sump seems like just another potential problem. FiTech had nothing but issues with theirs for years (at least in the beginning).

Both tanks sit at pretty much the same elevation so no easy way to gravity drain. In stock setup it uses a manual three way valve to switch between tanks as well as a dash switch to change between senders. One tank is a saddle tank below the driver’s seat while the other is between the frame rails at the back of the rig. Maybe since it is such a short wheel based rig a single Walbro fuel pump could be placed to draw from both tanks. Of course then I need a six way valve to deal with the return line to get the fuel back to the correct tank!

Liquid will find its own level so if you ran a hard line from the bottom of each tank tying them together they would essentially be a single tank. Unless you planned to fill one with a higher octane fuel or such I think this would work and make life easier. A single feed and return to the same primary tank. It would allow you to run a single in tank pump too which is always better.

Good thoughts, I will have to give it some consideration once I get the tanks back in the rig.

Check the edelbrock forum out before you buy one. https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/pro-flo-efi/pro-flo-4
There are some issues at Edelbrock right now with their relocation of their HQ and customer service has taken a huge dive. Some are happy with the system, some get very frustrated and return it. Buy from summit or Jegs for the no hassle return if it comes to that for you.

Lots of good info there. Thanks for the link. I would but from summit so should be covered there

Back