• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Door latch help

kb3

We installed the door latches and related rods this last weekend (thanks to Mid for the long latch rods) All of the parts are new and I am having trouble with the rod that goes from the outside handle to the latch. I bought the door latch retainer bushing kit from Mustangs plus http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/1964- ... shing.html

I can't seem to make it work, everything is fairly sloppy so I am certain that I am not installing them right. Has anybody had success?

Looking at Ryan's picture, below, the stock setup looks like all metal.

Attachments

• IMG_0171-1.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 52
Wow....I stumped the stangfix crew? Somebody has had to use these aftermarket kits before????

Kind of difficult understanding your exact issue as you presented it. Could it be that the rod is too short or long? Maybe it is as simple as a bad re-pop part. Any more detail you might give may help someone figure it out.

I think my problem is that I am not certain how the bushing goes in. In the pic above of Ryan's it is the upper left rod. The bushing kit is four pieces and I am not sure if it pushes in from the front or the rear of the latch, also not sure if it goes through both pieces of the latch (ie. the lock mech and the latch mech). I will need to take the latch out of the car to take pictures I guess. The aftermarket bushing is different from the factory and I have my assembly manual shows it different as well. I know....I don't make a lot of sense. :confu

The stock bushings should push in from the same side as the rods......the clip helps retain them and the rod in place. Of course, my memory is getting older by the min............

"kb3" said:
I think my problem is that I am not certain how the bushing goes in. In the pic above of Ryan's it is the upper left rod. The bushing kit is four pieces and I am not sure if it pushes in from the front or the rear of the latch, also not sure if it goes through both pieces of the latch (ie. the lock mech and the latch mech). I will need to take the latch out of the car to take pictures I guess. The aftermarket bushing is different from the factory and I have my assembly manual shows it different as well. I know....I don't make a lot of sense. :confu

Bushing goes in from the back. Big plastic washer between the flat metal pieces (Yes, bushing goes through both pieces.) Then little plastic washer under little metal washer on the front. Then push the rod, from the front, into the bushing shaft and it'll lock into a detent. Then you're done. Clear as mud?

"monkeystash" said:
Bushing goes in from the back. Big plastic washer between the flat metal pieces (Yes, bushing goes through both pieces.) Then little plastic washer under little metal washer on the front. Then push the rod, from the front, into the bushing shaft and it'll lock into a detent. Then you're done. Clear as mud?

That is exactly what I needed!! I thought it might be that way, but the two metal pieces are not that close together. I may need to re-work them a bit. Too bad the pictures in the manuals are not very good.

THANKS...off to the garage to make those work!

Back