• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Convertible top installation question

69Ravenconv

Can anyone post a picture or describe the technique for installing the bead that runs along the front edge of a convertible top? It's the quarter-inch vinyl piping that borders the top edge and is sandwiched between the top and the weatherstripping.

I get the basic idea, it's stapled to the front bow and follows the front edge of the top. What I'm struggling with is how to make it "disappear" nicely at the outer edges.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I believe in MustangMonthly there is an article in the tech section.
Maybe you find a pic or two that shows it how to do.
You don't necessarely look for mustang top installation.
Tops of convertibles of that era are all installed the same way, if i am correct.
:confu :confu

"B67FSTB" said:
I believe in MustangMonthly there is an article in the tech section.
Maybe you find a pic or two that shows it how to do.

Yeah, I've seen the Mustang Monthly articles. Not much help, they're very vague and lacking detail.

"B67FSTB" said:
You don't necessarely look for mustang top installation.
Tops of convertibles of that era are all installed the same way, if i am correct.

Agreed, I just need to see a photo of that section detail. I'll keep searching or wait for that first car show in the spring.

Anyone with a 'vert willing to snap a couple pics of the top front corners? Doesn't have to be a '69 and there's beers in the fridge!

Here's a couple bad pictures of the top on my 70. More of a what not to do.

6b0a787b-abd6-7e1a.jpg

6b0a787b-abf3-52d0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know who did the top on my car last, but its pretty bad. I need to replace it soon. I never put it up so I have it as a low priority.

Let me know if you need any other pics.

Pat

If you want a pic from another top , I have one laying around in the basement/seller .
Just give me scream ......or a email. or just say it. :stu

"B67FSTB" said:
If you want a pic from another top , I have one laying around in the basement/seller .
Just give me scream ......or a email. or just say it.

Sure, if it's not too much trouble. Id' like to see it there's a correct way to do it before I improvise and do it wrong.

Here we go . Need more or need certain pic , just let me know. Glad to help someone out.

Attachments

• DSCN2904.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCN2905.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2906.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
some more detail

Attachments

• DSCN2907.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCN2908.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • DSCN2909.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
Wow, thanks, those pics are great. I've got a good idea what I'm going to do now. Thanks to you and Pat for the help! (Anybody else got some pics? I'd love to see them, too)

Back