• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Brake Line Flaring Tool

Ponyman66

Yak, yak, yak
While I tend to be frugal with my money, I try to spend it on the best possible deal for the best products. Tools are no exception. With all of the brake line work I have to do on the coupe I dreaded using the standard old flaring tool. I've used them before for double flares, with mixed results. Not to mention slow and a real pain. There's a number of higher end flaring tools on the market now, but they're usually cost prohibitive. The other day was an exception. While tools from Eastwood can be spotty (depending on what you're getting), some are pretty darn good. Others are the same exact thing from Harbor Freight, just at a higher price (and I do mean the EXACT thing!).

Okay, what's this all about? Their brake line flaring tool. It normally runs $250. Just a bit to rich for me as often as I'd use it. Well this past week I found it on Ebay (from Eastwood), at $199. Better, but still not good enough. Due to purchasing from them through the years, I am on their mailing list. The other day I got a sale email from them. I decided to check the website and, lo and behold, the flaring tool was on sale for $179. I pulled the trigger on it. It only took a day to arrive (today as a matter of fact), and I had to play with it immediately. HOLY CRAP!! This thing is unBELIEVABLY easy to use. The double flares come out perfect with almost no effort. All you do is chuck the whole thing in a bench vise, place the dies around the tubing, set the die in place, pull the handle once with the turret in the "0" position to set the tubing stick out. Then you turn the turret to the proper size tubing and the #1 position, pull the handle, turn the turret to the #2 position, pull the handle and it's DONE! It probably took you longer to read this than it actually takes to do the flare! It's super quick and definitely a specialty tool I'm glad I got! If you can spring for one, I highly recommend it. If you've ever done double flares before you know what I mean when I say, it's worth it just due to the minimizing the frustration factor.

http://www.eastwood.com/professional-br ... -tool.html

p30179.jpg

Thanks for the link - I just ordered one.

The flare tool I have been using came from NAPA and is a quality tool but the die for the 3/16" line broke and I was going to buy a new kit anyway. I've got two cars that need full line replacement so this is great timing. I've got quite skilled at making double flares over the years but this tool looks like it will make life a little easier.

looks like a good alternative to the mastercool hydraulic setup. I bought one of those & sprung for the set of 37 degree dies to go with it. love it, but its pretty pricey.

**UPDATE**
I did some searching and found out the tool set is actually made by Brake Quip. Good news, they offer an additional turret and die set for 37deg!! Haven't found any pricing info, but I didn't look real hard either. I don't have a foreseeable use for 37deg stuff right now, but it's nice to know it IS available!! :yah

Pretty slick tool except for the fact that it needs to be on the vice. I have the hydraulic mastercool. Works great but stainless will still give you headaches.

Since this old thread has been dragged out of mothballs I guess I can add an update. I stated that a 37 deg die set was available from the original manufacturer. Lo and behold Eastwood started offering it last summer. Like the tool being on sale, the additional die set was later offered on sale (IIRC, it got it for $65).

The Mastercool set up is sweet, but like Steve said originally, it is pricey. Too rich for my my blood and the limited use it will get. Requiring this tool to be vise mounted hasn't really been an issue or hindrance at all. I can see where the portable of the Mastercool would be nice.

Regarding use on stainless, it can indeed be used on stainless. The biggest tip (even with standard steel lines), is to apply lube to the tubing. It is harder to do, but it is indeed doable!

Lastly the "bad" news, since finding it at the price I did (as well as the 37 deg die), I haven't seen either priced that low since. I sure that they will eventually put them back on "super" sale prices again. I have never seen a similar unit at my local HF (which I frequent OFTEN....much to the chagrin of wallet!). If you can find one there for $130, lucky you!

Back