• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Boom's 68 fastback

I'm thinking of making a small "L" bracket and hanging it from the export brace bolts to mount the regulator and the "Y" vs drilling holes in the firewall. What do you guys think?
I'm an aesthetic first kind of guy. I figure out how I want it to look first and then figure out how to make it function that way second. So in this case I would ask what "looks" best? If you're thinking of hanging it off the brace to just avoid drilling the firewall, I'd say think about it first and go the path that looks better. Holes is holes not a big deal.

Thats very true. I do want it to look good, thats why I didn't want to run with the y fitting originally since it'd make me have to run a line along the top of the fuel rails.

I get it. I have made the switch and do everything in SS now and those handheld tools just can't do the job. It is really nice to clamp the tool in a bench vise and just walk up, insert a bit of tubing and wham bam double flare done like that. Add in my homemade tubing straightener set-up and I can crank out some lines! Now if I can only remember to put the damn fittings on before flaring every time! :mad:
How about some pics of your tubing straightener.

How about some pics of your tubing straightener.
Nothing fancy but it does the job. I've used it for 3/16" up to 3/8" stainless and it works well. Can bolt it to my welding table or clamps in the vise on my workbench depending on whichever suits me. 1/4" steel backing plate, 1" box metal and some metal rollers meant for screen doors or such. Only difficult part is the necessity of the threaded holes to mount the wheels/bearings in perfect alignment and parallel placement. The upper set are fixed to the plate and the lower are adjustable via the bolts and washer spacers to accommodate whichever size tubing is being worked.
tube straightener.jpg

I think 5 rollers would do the job but 9 would do it even better.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I think 5 rollers would do the job but 9 would do it even better.
I did too. Then thought seven could it and next thing you know there were nine. If I was working with the usual soft material brake line stuff you find at an auto parts store five would have done the trick. Not so when using 3/8" stainless steel tubing.

It should be noted that since my homemade piece is really working mainly in a single plane it's important to keep the tubing positioned so that the curve is in the same plane (or close, as the wheel flanges help to guide it in).

Got most of my fuel parts in. They decided to mail the regulator, so still waiting.

Attachments

• 20201214_173322.jpg
    20201214_173322.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 16
Got the regulator mounted. What a pain doing this solo. Vice grips are a must have. I still need to run the hardline up to the bottom for the return.

Need to sort out the feed line still but its progress.

On a side note, anyone have issues with the fitting halves not completely touching when assembled? I have one or two that have a paper thin gap still but I feel like I'm about to snap something trying to cinch it any more.

Attachments

• 20201219_163345.jpg
    20201219_163345.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 27
Howdy everyone. No real progress on the car. Life's been busy. I had to move again to the mountains of Pennsylvania, currently on a deployment in Poland. I did get some pics of the car being transported.

I hope to be more active on here again as I look to gather parts to complete the build. Starting with a TKX. They're more available now, just have to decide which OD I want, .68 or .82

Attachments

• 20211008_092904.jpg
    20211008_092904.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-20221014-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20221014-WA0002.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reached out to MustangstoFear and was sad to hear that a fire destroyed the molds for most of their fiberglass. I was planning on getting a rear deck lid and maybe side scoops from them. They emailed back saying they have a new manufacturer lined up. So hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to get some ordered.

In case that doesn't work out, I'm looking at Maier and Cobranda. Haven't used either for fiberglass before, so I'm reading up on reviews from others.

Lots of time to read and research options.

Fiberglass !! keep in mind that this material has alot of work involved !! and itchy dust !

Fiberglass !! keep in mind that this material has alot of work involved !! and itchy dust !
Yeah I know. I already have a nose and hood from them. Going to be alot of work to get them fitting good.

My deck lid is pretty corroded on the underside where the lip is. And I really like the look of the duck tail spoiler on the 67-68 cars

Not much to update. Still waiting to hear back on fiberglass options. Leaning torwards the Cobranda vacuum formed pieces. Seems they get that line in from Europe it sounds like, from Fiberglass Specialties or someone.

Looked at some seat options. Sold the stock seats long ago. TMI is nice but they sure are pricey. Procar seats seem to have a good price and decent reviews. Was looking at the Rally lowback style.

Black Friday sales seemed to be nonexistent this year. That or my expectations were too high.

Stay far away from FSI, worst garbage on the market. Read their policy, you buy it and no returns. The company I referred you to in Texas turned out to be all talk.

Not much to update. Still waiting to hear back on fiberglass options. Leaning torwards the Cobranda vacuum formed pieces. Seems they get that line in from Europe it sounds like, from Fiberglass Specialties or someone.

Looked at some seat options. Sold the stock seats long ago. TMI is nice but they sure are pricey. Procar seats seem to have a good price and decent reviews. Was looking at the Rally lowback style.

Black Friday sales seemed to be nonexistent this year. That or my expectations were too high.
We went with the Procar Elite seats. The Rally has a high bolster and is fairly narrow and uncomfortable. I am not a big guy and the seat was a even too narrow for me. If you can find a place to test sit them, I would highly suggest it.

Back