• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Boom's 68 fastback

Boom

Donator
Howdy everyone, I have had my coupe for a number of years and while I love it, I always wanted a fastback. Last year on another forum a member posted a fastback for sale and shortly after I drove over with a friend and picked it up.

20160913_134522 by Brett, on Flickr

Here it is in the condition I got it:

20160913_165755 by Brett, on Flickr

20160913_165807 by Brett, on Flickr

The history of the car from the previous owner is that he bought it from a body shop around '86. The car had been taken for a joyride and they hit a wooden fence which smacked up the front fender, front apron and a few dings on the roof. The car was at the body shop to be fixed when that current owner lost interest and the shop sold it to cover the time they had in it for repairs. The guy I bought it from got it from the body shop and put it in a warehouse to "get to one day", he never got around to it and the warehouse needed room so he posted it for sale and now I have it. The window sticker is still visible, last registered 1985.

I don't have access to a paint booth so I had originally started scuffing what the car had and then hitting with some cheapo primer, thats the grey as seen here:

20161022_084340 by Brett, on Flickr

Then I found out about this amazeballsness in a can that is Eastwoods 2K primer in an aerosol, so I sanded the car to bare metal and applied that instead (flat black). Also, note the interior of the trunk area was taken to bare metal and POR15 applied.

20161112_131912 by Brett, on Flickr

VZM.IMG_20161130_104914 by Brett, on Flickr

The PO had stored the car and forgot to drain the coolant (d'oh), so the heater core gave out sometime in the mid 90's. He wiped it up and threw the rags behind teh driver's seat (d'oh) there was rust holes in the front passenger side and rear driver side. So, rather then patch bits here and there...

20161130_123421 by Brett, on Flickr

20161130_170001 by Brett, on Flickr

Put new floor pans on both sides. I also installed '69 seat pans so the seats will be about an inch lower.

I sanded down the front and coated it with POR15 and then POR topcoat. The new front suspension is a coil over kit by StreetorTrack, I also installed new Baer tracker bumpsteer tie rod ends, a new steering box from Chock, a new Boss style crossmember from Zray. New shock tower covers are Global west, they supposedly let the car go lower without bottoming out.

20170315_195743 by Brett, on Flickr

20170315_195732 by Brett, on Flickr

The master cylinder is made by Baer, its called a remaster. Very nice piece. The new export brace is from Global West.

2017-04-28_05-20-44 by Brett, on Flickr

I put the engine in this past weekend. Went in pretty smoothly except for the oil pan hit the engine crossmember, so I pulled that and Zray is going to make a custom one for me.

20170429_112021 by Brett, on Flickr

2017-04-30_09-08-14 by Brett, on Flickr

I also got the clutch pedal in so I'm gonna mail that along with the support and the brake pedal to Mustang Steve for the roller bearing install.

what are you using for clutch actuation? Sorry if you already posted it somewhere. I'm going with hydraulic throw out bearing on my 67.

The plan is Modern driveline hydraulic clutch. Not sure if I'll use internal or external TOB yet tho.

You can save some coin and time and do the pedal to roller bearing mod yourself. Super easy if you have a welder. I would without question go with a hydraulic TO bearing. Slave cylinder set-ups are just more to possibly go wrong. Tilton makes really good pieces and the tech is proven on hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of new cars. My 2 cents anyway.

You can save some coin and time and do the pedal to roller bearing mod yourself. Super easy if you have a welder. I would without question go with a hydraulic TO bearing. Slave cylinder set-ups are just more to possibly go wrong. Tilton makes really good pieces and the tech is proven on hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of new cars. My 2 cents anyway.

That's what I bought
IMG_4285.jpg

Very nice, I've heard nothing but great things about the Tilton bearings.

Sorry if I missed it, but what TKO did you go with, 500 or 600? I see that Modern driveline offers a custom low profile one for fitting our cars better.

Very nice, I've heard nothing but great things about the Tilton bearings.

Sorry if I missed it, but what TKO did you go with, 500 or 600? I see that Modern driveline offers a custom low profile one for fitting our cars better.
TKO 600 from MDL with the modified top cover.
IMG_4286.jpg

Get that thing in the car Craig. I want to shift one. Heard mixed reviews as compared to the T5. This winter I plan on upgrading the trans and am leaning toward an Astro T5.

Back