• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Back for re-restoration;)

Dne'

Hi, It's me Dne', finally back to get started on my 67 Mustang. As many may know, it was 6' under the flood waters of Harvey for two weeks and it's been in storage for the past year as we've been trying diligently to get our lives back to 'normal'.
I have no particular plan other than just start taking the poor little Stang apart. I'm not going to get crazy in making it super perfect~ however it should at least look as good as it did if not better.
1)I'm thinking I'd like to look into fuel injection or not
2) get a better differential, 2:79 gears right now
3)Do away with the C4 and go with a 5 speed or whatever the consensus is these days.
4)I'd really like a different front suspension and do away with the inner coil spring shroud,cover, but will probably be swayed to stay as is.
5) Never have really been happy with the Flaming river rack n pinion, may be due to having to use the Flaming River long tube headers which are the only headers to fit with their Rack.

Anyway, have a ways to go, but I don't think it's going to be really bad. Hope to see familiar names pop in soon;)
dne' ;)

Attachments

• 67 mustang5.jpg
    67 mustang5.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 40
Welcome back Dne' !!
I bet the boys here missed you !
Much damage on the 67 ? Engine ? Interior ?

Thanks Bruno~ I guess I need to state that we don't live at this location anymore in Houston. We found a nice place out away a bit from Houston in Cypress, Tx. The subdivision where we lived is still in recovery mode, many homes are still vacant, waiting for tear down, permits, arguments from the HOA's on how new homes are to be built~ I'm so happy to be at our new location!

The pic, Gary peaked into the garage to take this pic, one can see on the Triumph the ultimate level of the flood water. With water being released from the Addicks damn, the water level stayed up for two weeks! The Triumph, I got it going fairly quickly and it's fine. Only took a few months to get it going; just needs a new exhaust.

As for the Mustang, it was submerged for a while, there was so much going on, I didn't have time to drain the oil, pull the spark plugs,etc. when we finally got the stang outside, my brother and I pulled the interior, headliner, so it's pretty much gutted. I can probably do it, but I guess pull the engine apart as it only has about 2500 miles on it if that many. I may pull the drain plug later today and see what ratio of flood water to oil there is! lol Otherwise, I may get my engine builder to go through it, but that's down the road; not a concern at the present.

flooded mustang.JPG flooded mustang.JPG

We stayed in our upstairs apartment for about a week, thinking the floodwaters were going to recede, but it kept going up. We didn't know about the water being released from the dam at an alarming rate. Running low on propane for the small generator, food supplies running low, we finally gave into a passing FEMA rescue boat. It's been a little over a year now and we are still in the process of clearing out the 11 x 60 storage unit that we have. We're almost back to full speed ahead! ;) Funny how I focus more on my garage than our home, but that's where I spent most of my time~ ;)
flooded home.JPG

Wauww , I do hope I never experience this kind of disaster.:eek::eek::eek:
Glad nobody is hurt and good luck with your new home !!

Wow. So sad to see that. I can’t imagine the impact that has had.
But glad to see you back and always enjoyed your project updates. Keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Tarafied! It's going to be a slow go as Gary n I are still going through boxes, actually just brought home everything from a 11 x 60 storage(including the Mustang, ). My shop is rather depressing with all the brought home crap.:( I'm anxious to tear back into the Stang; really helps. My new shop below, it's been a job cleaning it out, making it look like my dream shop. I've always wanted a "Texaco station" and this is about as close as I'm going to get. Behind the two smaller garage doors is about 50' deep with AC/heat, the RV and smaller are same depth with no AC(which is fine). My 59 Apache truck is in there and my Triumph TR6 is in the house garage. At least all the classics are here on site now;) Recently Gary let my buy a 4 post lift and it's really nice, plus I still have my 2 Maxjax lifts. I'm doing OK!

Texaco station2.JPG 67 mustang5.jpg

Thank you Tarafied! It's going to be a slow go as Gary n I are still going through boxes, actually just brought home everything from a 11 x 60 storage(including the Mustang, ). My shop is rather depressing with all the brought home crap.:( I'm anxious to tear back into the Stang; really helps. My new shop below, it's been a job cleaning it out, making it look like my dream shop. I've always wanted a "Texaco station" and this is about as close as I'm going to get. Behind the two smaller garage doors is about 50' deep with AC/heat, the RV and smaller are same depth with no AC(which is fine). My 59 Apache truck is in there and my Triumph TR6 is in the house garage. At least all the classics are here on site now;) Recently Gary let my buy a 4 post lift and it's really nice, plus I still have my 2 Maxjax lifts. I'm doing OK!

View attachment 31482 View attachment 31483
Nice garages! I'm jealous.

Good luck on the rerestoration. Keep us posted.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

As in the link below, I got the '90 5.0 and trans home today, it was only a 45 minute trip and I enjoyed talking with the seller(Richard). In the meanwhile, I finally drained the oil pan on the 289 currently residing in my stang. I drained about 6 gallons of clear looking water, but amazed that oil didn't follow, or just a muck came out. Then drained the gas tank which didn't seem bad at all. Next will be the transmission before I contemplate pulling it all out. I'm really thinking about keeping the 289 and freshen it up(only had about 2,000 miles if that on it). Maybe use it for a future project.

The newer engine/trans is still in the back of my truck. It's a very clean engine; have no plans at the moment as there's a lot going on here. I have a nicer engine stand coming;)
http://www.stangfix.com/threads/just-looking-at-engine-trans.24621/#post-305881

John, you should look into a Maxjax lift, made for low ceilings(8'ish), plus when you're not using it, you can unbolt it and move it out of the way. I have two Maxjax lifts~ geez, I'm ill! lol

Today Gary n I took a truck load of useless crapola to the dump, organized the boxes and more room is materializing!!

Apart from that, got the engine off the truck, took the trans off, removed the funny shaped intake. I have a nice engine stand coming from Summit racing(has a crank handle!). I'm perplexed, I'm thinking to let Herb do my engine (he's done all except my miata), couldn't be very involved. Spoke to a guy from Craigslist which has about 30 foxbody cars for parts very close to us. I asked him about the swap~ he said he'd be glad to let me ask and perhaps he'd have some necessary wiring, or components. Thinking too far ahead as I've always done:( I should have some time to remove the 289/c4 over the next few days~ then take a close look at the engine bay for the Mustang II suspension~ no hurry, but sure would like a cool front to blow in;)

Thank you Tarafied!

Finally pulled the 289 out, kind of depressing actually to think it was a pretty engine compartment not long ago. I found it easier to pull the engine alone; I'll get the trans out tomorrow, or soon. The next few days I'll spend getting everything out including the dash, under the dash, etc.
289.jpg 289b.jpg 289a.jpg

yeah, I can't imagine if my 67 was under water! But it doesn't look too bad in the pics. Maybe it is worse in real life or because you know all the nice work you had already done. Anyway, glad it's making progress

It's amazing how long I've had this Stang, just goes to show how time is flying by:( But yes Tarafied, "all the nice work", I can't complain. I probably should've taken the 15k insurance money and sold the stang, just was killing me to think it would have gone to a scrap metal place!!

The pic below must have been from about 2009ish. I bought the Stang in 2008 and was a 3 year project. It'll look good again~ Gary wants me to slow down on the re-restoration, wants me to make it last, other words, 'just don't finish it in two years", ;)

pretty stang.jpg

Back