• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Back for re-restoration;)

If it would be easier for you I could hold onto that pump for you until you secure the sign. That way it wouldn't feel incomplete to you in the shop

If it would be easier for you I could hold onto that pump for you until you secure the sign. That way it wouldn't feel incomplete to you in the shop
Thanks for the offer but I think I'll make it until I get some more signage.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I've been going sooooo slow! Today, got one seat back done; I think I broke every finger nail and probably have carpal tunnel syndrome after wrestling that seat! I'm kidding, wasn't too bad. I hope tomorrow to have an entire day, by myself, in my shop so I can make some real progress! hahahahahah! never happen;)

An incredible moment to hear the engine run!!! Today!! I tried a couple days before using the flooded distributor, but there was no spark(go figure), but I also found out I was using the incorrect firing order. I looked up a '99 Mustang 5.0 and found it to be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 and it fired right up! Quiet as it could be! I let it run, open the thermostat and called it a day and had a mini-margarita as my reward;) I dront dink very much;) Still much to do!
dne'

Gee Terry, I made a 20 second "movie", but I can't figure out how to get it on here!

I'm quite excited to say my Mustang moved on its own power, there was some shakin going on, but the clutch worked, but my hydraulic clutch is temporary. But it's now in its new home until it's 'finished';) It was a pain sitting on the seat platform and a storage bin for a backing.

I got to clean up the mess and now it's looking very nice in my Air conditioned garage;) I moved the middle maxjax column out of the way.

This is my make shift hydraulic clutch system, or my version, but it's based on McLeods design, but I've been working with Red Roberts over the past few weeks, the designer of this and he's since sold the name but operates under another company name. Mine works, it's just very rough and I may have a few glitches; one that I'm having difficulty getting the trans into reverse.

To be able to move my stang to the 4-post lift, I needed it to move under its own power and have brakes, so it's all functional, but it's all coming back out once the new system arrives. Red isn't charging me for the new booster/master cylinder since I've been his guinea pig and gathering data and measurements. He had mostly been working on GM cars but now is venturing more into the Fords. It's the power booster which presents clearance problems, and other things.

This is the system that will be going in. A larger booster diameter wise and a new master cylinder(not shown), then the adapter which is red and approximately at a 25 degree angle. If it's anything like what I have right now based on his design, it's a very easy clutch. Once I'm happy with the install and I report directly to him, this setup will go on the market. I don't get anything except the parts, but I was part of something other than reclusive classic car enthusiast;)

D'ne, I am getting more and more forgetful these days but seem to recall you are now using a T5 trans, right? Reverse on those almost never have a syncro so you need to shift into it through 3rd or 4th to use their syncro to get it into reverse without a bunch of grinding. If that is what is happening it's not about your clutch set-up.

I really like that concept you're using for the clutch master. Seems it would be very challenging to get the mechanics right to provide enough travel distance but remain in the correct degree of alignment throughout. For what it's worth, mine works well but I intend to pull it out and install a larger master to reduce the amount of pedal travel needed to operate. Everything is meant to be tweaked I always say!

Terry, now that you mention it, (oh, yes, a T5), I did notice I could put the trans into any of the forward gears and then go into reverse with little grinding. But to go to reverse, say from neutral, I'd have to repeat going from a forward gear again.
It crossed my mind just to keep what I have in the car, regarding the clutch setup, but Red, the designer is counting on me to install what he's designed, so I feel kind of obligated, plus, his stuff is all new and pretty!;) I have a lot to do, so I can wait until he sends me the potential setup, then I'm going to make a blog about it.
I told him that if it's a pain to install, I won't hold back. In other words, for me to back it with my word, it's going to have to work very well, be relatively "easy" to install and the cost would have to be competitive. But like I said, if it works even close to how mine is working, the ease of the pushing the clutch pedal, it's going to be really nice!

President at Red Roberts inc Dba Driveline Components co. (can't find much else about Red, but he's been around for a long time)

It's the normal "T5 Shuffle". I like to use a neutral-4th-Reverse shift motion when I need to back-up. 2nd and 3rd take a beating as it is they don't need anymore use than necessary. Hell, sometimes it's just easier to use the skinny pedal to turn things around quick! :cool:

What would happen if the strut tower brace wasn't there? dumb question;) and I would like to get another one, one that I can remove the struts without removing the shock tower caps/shock tops.

You need the brace. Or at least "a" brace. Shifting location a touch will not be disastrous, if you need to gain an inch or so.
Shawn's part (Street or Track) is really nice.

Back