• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A REAL Schematic

Mach1 Driver

A REAL Schematic

Until now there were no entire car schematics for our cars, only wire diagrams. This schematic is 4 pages in four separate pdf files (a quirk of my CAD software).

A real schematic rarely makes any attempt to identify wires or plugs or connectors. A real schematic tries to show the internal workings of a component when it helps to explain a circuit. A real schematic simplifies. A real schematic is used when you want to understand how a circuit works.

A real schematic is what the designer makes first, then he converts it to a wire diagram. A wire diagram shows where wires go and how to connect them. You need BOTH to work on a car, unless the wire diagram is just so darn simple you don’t need the schematic.

Our electrical systems consist mostly of switches and lights; around 44 and 41 respectively. Switches are either open or closed. This schematic only shows when a switch is closed. Usually that is indicated by a few simple words below the switch like on, off, run, start, etc. Pay attention to the top section of page one. It shows the most often used symbols on the schematic.

I started this project so I could calculate the electrical loads and know what size alternator to get for my future needs (EFI, fuel pump, halogen lights, power windows, etc.) Amperage information for a stock 1969 Mach1 is in an accompanying spreadsheet (Mustang amps.xls) along with a chart of our most common electrical load: light bulbs. If you don’t like the loads I used to calculate “Likely constant amp draw”, by all means alter the spreadsheet to suit your needs, or use simple math- just don’t complain to me.

My hope is that this schematic and spreadsheet become valuable reference tools for other hobbyists. Thanks Emilio, the spreadsheet is uploaded and working now.

EDIT: Unfortunately I've hit the limit of files I can attach in this post. I have added a page 5 to the schematic (scroll down) that shows how to connect to the fuse panel and wiring for accessories. The 69s have a fuse that is connected to a plug for Cougar accessories and is unused on Mustangs. Its a good place for things you want to come on when the key is in ON and ACCY. Page 5 also shows how to connect something like an EFI that you want on when the key is in START or ON.

Attachments

• MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG1.pdf
    54.6 KB · Views: 74
  • MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG2.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 47
  • MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG3.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 31
  • MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG4.pdf
    85.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Mustang amps.xls
    27 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thanks, I'm still waiting for Emilio to upload the real spreadsheet (Mustang amps.xls). This site doesn't show any Excel files in my directory, so I can't upload it!
Edit: Emilio fixed it and real spreadsheet is working

Last edited:
Sorry so late it should work now

Attachments

• Mustang amps.xls
    27 KB · Views: 16
Unfortunately I've hit the limit of files I can attach to post #1. I have added a page 5 to the schematic that shows how to connect to the fuse panel and wiring for accessories. The 69s have a fuse that is connected to a plug for Cougar accessories and is unused on Mustangs. Its a good place for things you want to come on when the key is in ON and Accy. Page 5 also shows how to connect something like an EFI that you want on when the key is in START or ON.

Attachments

• MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PAGE 5.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 12
Back