• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A First for MHR!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
I just got back from the Pensacola FL Mustang show, a three day affair every year at this time. Typically, every other year it is a MCA National, but this year was a regional show. The weather forecast was lousy for Friday and Saturday: rain on Friday then Thunderstorms on Saturday.

Got there on Friday at 8AM, set up my Midlife Harness Restoration booth while the weather was cloudy, and very few cars showed up. Foot traffic was almost non-existent. Oh well....it didn't rain at all Friday. Lots of wind: 25 knots sustained, gusts to 29. Saturday began in a similar fashion, and about 80 cars showed up entirely. The rain held off until 2PM, and then it came down in buckets! As soon as it began, half of the show field left, foot traffic disappeared, and us vendors were left under canopies and tarps. Crap.

And then...two individuals came by in the rain, wanting to know if I had a 69 and a 70 in stock to fit their existing harnesses. Yup, the 69 was standard, no AC, the 70 was standard, AC. I try to have one harness of every year already refurbished in case someone needs one right now. In my booth, I display 3 from the various years. I've been going to this show (and occasionally other nearby shows) since 2009 and have never made a sale. This time, it rained, and I got two customers buying harnesses within an hour of each other. Woohoo!

I also snagged a butt-load of 69 and 70 cores, exactly what was needed to fill my inventory. As I make a walk around the vendors, I hear: "Hey! You're the wiring guy! I brought in some cores knowing you would be here.". That's what I love to hear! Talking to many of the old-timers, nearly everyone who is restoring old Mustangs is getting out of the business, as the demand is in the newer models. The swap-meet mentality of selling used OEM parts is rapidly disappearing, as there is so much repro out there now.

Sunday began with clear skies, 71 degrees, a gentle breeze. A perfect day for a car show, but essentially, the car show was over and done with by noon.

On to Orlando in September for the MCA National...

I prefer to drive no more than 5 hours, leaving travel time to get back home at a decent hour on Sundays. It takes a good hour to break down the booth and another hour plus to unpack the car at home. I'll be skipping the Charlotte 50th for that reason.

Back