• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

A couple gremlins

monkeystash

For the 1st time in decades, I put power to the '65. Surprisingly almost everything works! The exceptions are:

1.) High beam indicator is on when the headlights are on normal or high. I checked both led and incandescent indicator bulbs, no different. Also added an extra ground to instrument cluster, no different. I do have Halogen headlights with a relay, if that matters.

2.) Both front turn signals blink when either side is selected. Rears work as they should. LED bulbs and appropriate flasher installed.

Thanks.

Fixed #2. I swapped the LED bulbs from my Fairlane and they work as they should now. Funny thing is the ones that didn't work in the Mustang did work in the Fairlane. Oh well, they all work now.

Still stumped on #1.

Try disconnecting the relay for the headlights and see if your indicator light is still on. I presume you are still using the dimmer switch on the floor? If still present, disconnect the dimmer switch and try again. I'll bet it is either feedback from the relay or the dimmer switch is bad.

Ryan you used the plug and play headlight/relay harness didn't you? If so, it's pre-wired so it's Murphy proof (unless something was screwed up during manufacturing). With that said, I looked over the stock wiring schematics and I'd bet on a bad dimmer switch.

BTW, congrats on a smooth wiring install! To wind up with only two (small) problems on your first smoke check is pretty damned good!!!

Back