• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

69 Door panel hardware - repost and answer...

2ndgen

The original post on this subject became corrupted and had to be deleted. I found answers to my questions which I am posting here for future reference...

Original post:

My original door shells were trash, so I went with some originals off a donor coupe - which is the root of my problem/question.

On my Mach 1 door shells, there was a small (about 1.5 inches long) angle bracket that was attached to the middle of the inside door panel with two studs about an inch apart. As far as I can tell the studs just had a spring steel clip pressed on to them to hold them to the door. I am uncertain of their function, although I suspect they are used to mount/stabilize the door handle cups on the deluxe interior of the Mach 1.

My questions:

1) are they available in reproduction? One of mine is badly rusted and now porous after media blasting...
2) are the press on spring clips used to attach them to the door shells available?
3) how important are these pieces to the door assembly?

Thanks in advance,
-Rory

Answers:

1) Yes, they are reproduced but not all vendors have them. Two of my favorites (NPD and Glaser/Nolan) do not have them!
CJ's as well as "Dead Nuts on" both carry them.

2) Knowing the correct name "arm rest mounting bracket for deluxe interior" enabled me to find the mounting hardware including the spring clips for the studs at NPD. Other vendors probably have them too...

3) Yes, they are important to the structural integrity of the panels. Since the panels are over $200 and the reproduction part is $10, this is very cheap insurance at it would be foolish to try to get by without the bracket.

Hope this helps someone else!

-Rory

I don't recall seeing any springs on mine. They are original door panels but were somewhat bastardized at some point. Actually the bastardization probably saved the panels from breaking right near the cups. There are some cracks in the substrate but none in the outer vinyl.

Please share this info when you get around to it.

This is the bracket I am talking about...

AA9900.jpg

The spring clips that fasten this to the door are little pieces of spring steel that slide on to the two posts... like these

kbw23.jpg

-Rory

Back