• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351 CLEVELAND w 0.060 overbore

B67FSTB

The NorCal dude from Belgium
Quick question

I have the opportunity to buy a 351 cleveland 4 bolt block. but it is 0.060 overbored.
Is this within safety dimensions or am I pushing it ??
In the past I have heard something that 0.060 is too much for a certain engine but don't know which engine.
Has somebody more info on this topic ?

If you want to go more than .030 over standard it would be wise to have the block sonic checked first. There's the well known problems with thin walls/core shift to consider, but it depends on what you want from your engine. If it's used just for cruising and not going to make huge power then .040 or .060 over shouldn't be a problem if the block checks out OK.

I have heard from a number of sources that the later Australian castings can safely go to .060 due to a higher nickel content than the US castings.

I'd end the discussion at the start depending on whether the .060" overbore is fresh or not. If already put into service for any amount of time, I'd pass. You would need to have the block checked for bore condition and straightness as well as sonic checked to be sure it was viable. That will not be cheap. Then again, I guess if you want to spend money you could sleeve it and start over!

Easier (and cheaper) to just find a Windsor block and build a "clevor", likely.

I'd end the discussion at the start depending on whether the .060" overbore is fresh or not. If already put into service for any amount of time, I'd pass. You would need to have the block checked for bore condition and straightness as well as sonic checked to be sure it was viable. That will not be cheap. Then again, I guess if you want to spend money you could sleeve it and start over!

Easier (and cheaper) to just find a Windsor block and build a "clevor", likely.
Clevor. Crossed my mind several times.
Its a freshly bored block.
I think I gonna pass this cause starting on a 4 bolt main block with a potential failure is simply not done due to the costs involved.
Thx guys.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk

Back