• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2004 Mach 1

tarafied1

I haven’t been active on the Fix, sorry. Terry checked in and sparked me to post a bit. Some of you may recall my middle son built a DOHC 4.6 using an 05 Aviator engine and Cobra as well as Mach 1 parts for the 99 GT. Well all was well until the new Cloyes timing set had a failure. Anyway due to bent valves and the cost of parts and such it sat untouched for a while. In the meantime my MIL decided to get a newer vehicle so I offered to buy the Crown Vic for my son so I could get my 07 back ( he was driving it to work and school). So she agreed and wife and I went up to Illinois to get it. She had hit a pole in a parking lot and banged it up but it was fixable. Went to pull a part and got the stuff to fix it and my done loved it. So your wondering where the 04 Mach 1 fits in this story?
My son moved back home ( still in school and working but life stuff you know). So since he was saving a little money he got to looking at cars and found a 2004 Mach 1 that had a Terminator Cobra Super Charger added but had thrown a rod. It was 5 hours away but he wanted to go look at it. He negotiated a price and we took him to the bank. He got the money and we went with the trailer to go look at it it came home with us! So we took the bottom end we had built for the 99 and combine it with the supercharged top end from the blown up 4.6 and he had a Runner now. His 4.6 already had the forged rotating assembly and was still pretty fresh so it was s perfect short block. We put a Ford timing chain system in it this time. Pricy but I think it should hold up. He’s been driving it and tuning on it. It’s a pretty nice ride and he has about half what it books for invested.
4f345f9938ace266e38cc8f86763bcf4.jpg

e7d510c4c3dac67dc7e12f38d243e64e.jpg

941ca9e59e4d1e1847864d544fd89a01.jpg

9164bcec87946690edaadb2cfb2f5228.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember that engine build. I was wondering if he every got fixed. Glad it's running again.

Car looks great.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Should have known you'd have been getting stuff done. Your boy ended up right where he wanted in the end, didn't he. Round about way to a blown 4.6 but boy are they fun.

I remember that engine build. I was wondering if he every got fixed. Glad it's running again.

Car looks great.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
thanks! he is stoked!
Should have known you'd have been getting stuff done. Your boy ended up right where he wanted in the end, didn't he. Round about way to a blown 4.6 but boy are they fun.
Yes he was trying to make the 99GT into a Mach and planned a supercharger (hence the forged bottom end). He couldn't be happier! It's got 100K on it and has been repainted at some point so it's not immaculate but it's pretty nice. He bought it from a guy who didn't know much about cars but liked it. He did get the previous owners info, the guy who originally swapped on the supercharger. After he got this car running he sold the 99 and all the leftover parts (well most of them anyway) to offset the costs. The guy who built it said it dyno'd at 425 to the wheels when he turned it. My son used his long tube headers and boosted the fuel system as well as put a smaller pulley on the blower so it should be a little more now. (I still smoked him with my 502 however!)
I do believe that will work. ( on numerous levels ) :cool:
it is a nice car!

Nice to see you back around, I was just wondering what you were up to the other day. Nice looking car your son got, I can bet he enjoying it with the supercharger setup.

Just preach to him about being smart driving that thing. The torque is there almost immediately. Super easy to get things squirrely real fast. Plus tires ain't cheap!

yes, I have preached that this car can kill him, he doesn't want to be in one of those video's of the knuckleheads losing control being stupid!

I am pretty stoked with this car. It has a lot of goodies now that I wanted to do to my '99 but ultimately could not do. I sold my '99 to my brother in law who also helped me reassemble this car.

Now it is sitting on coilovers on all four corners, I bought some stocks for it and am running a pair up front and some 15x8 5.25bs Racestars in the back, and of course an enormous 28x10 tire.

There is a lot done to this car and I don't even know where to start talking about it. I jumped out of my old retail store job and into a much better place (with an office!) so I have time to keep up with these forums now.

Here is a quick brief on it for anyone who is curious;

2004 Mach 1 / Black / Interior Upgrade package / 5 speed manual (tremec T3650)

WAP Aluminum Aviator block with Kellogg crankshaft and Manley forged H-beam rods, forged 8.5:1 pistons / stock bore
Eaton M112 pullied with 2.93 upper and stock lower
Full exhaust - Pacesetter long tubes, custom fab 3in H pipe, Pypes M80 downturn catback
Raceland single-adjustable coilovers on all four corners
Hurst race shifter, I also want to stress how much better the side bolsters are on the Mach seats than on base Mustang seats
Deatschwerks 340lph fuel pump, siemens deka 60#/hr injectors, SCT BA2600 MAF

I have a full set of stock wheels, a full set of black/polished FR500s, and the racestars to switch between

I have a 1999 Cobra front bumper, 2003 Cobra rear bumper and 2003 Cobra rocker panels to get painted and installed as well. Every part that goes on this car is going to be painted first, no more hoopties lol

On the engine, I am running clevite trimetal bearings on every surface, a Ford Performance HV oil pump, FP timing set, basically Ford everything for my accessories

It is difficult to assemble a parts list for the car from scratch as I am sure you all would understand.

My short term goals right now are to settle on what cams I want to run with the car and the supporting upgrades to run them, and get the cobra stuff painted and installed.

Long term, I am going to be looking at moly tubular K-members and control arms to go with that. Without opening up the blower, I am aiming for as close to 500whp as I can get. After I have all the bits and bobs done, I am going to invest into a Kenne Bell blower as opposed to a VMP or a Whipple, partially for the performance but mostly for the sound. Its all about the joy of driving, after all.

There is a long way to go, but this R-code car is leaps and bounds ahead of where my GT was and I can't be happier with where it is at right now. Eyes forward all the time, though!

1-4-caseys.jpgfront_machsmall.jpg

Back