• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What did you get done on your Stang today????

Since I am reaching the 10k mileage mark, yesterday I retired my Tefba coolant filter. I will keep it and the modified hoses in case I ever do anything to the radiator, heads, etc that might have an impact on the cleanliness of the coolant.

Before:
yvy7eje8.jpg

Now:
7yvy2une.jpg
I'm ordering one for my 67, what hose diameter size is yours? I want to make sure I order the right size.

Installed new front wheel inner and outer wheel bearings and races, rebuilt both front brake calipers, new front brake pads, bled brake system. Then adjusted carb and timing.

While I haven't posted anything on my coupe project for several months now (because nothing's gotten done!), I can now add one thing. I finally finished up the overhaul/restoration of the heater box assembly today. All it has been lacking (or so I thought), was a new fan motor. After getting that installed several weeks back I thought it was then complete...NOPE! I discovered one of the contacts for the heater resistor was no longer secure and would push in. I also missed one screw in the defroster plenum. Tonight I got off my butt, swapped out the resistor for another and installed the missing screw. Done NOW!
heaterboxa.JPG heaterbox2a.JPG
heaterbox3a.JPG

Last edited:
Got the engine out and passenger side 4 pistons out of the block. All is good. All the bearings look fine. Search continues.

Got the motor running like a sewing machine at idle. But I get above 1500 rpm heavy vibration starts. Local guys said it may be the harmonic balancer. Just checking with y'all, the gurus, for other ideas.

The motor had a different firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 which show to be a 5.0 HO. Didn't know and can't find if that's a internally balanced or needs a different weight.

Sent via paper airplane.

It's bad lifters. 5 of them on the passenger side. All 8 on the driver side are fine.

Now to figure out why. Something with the passenger lifter oil run.

I had my car at the tuner for the past week to add a Megasquirt to my car. He turned out to be a total douch bag and I towed my car home yesterday. I am going to take the car to a different tuner and we are going with an Accel DFI setup instead. I also realized that my blower bypass valve was WAY too small. I have started to convert it to a race bypass valve. I think that could have bee a major part of my idle surge for the past few years.

I have also outgrown my stock fuel rails. The parts are on order. The car should run great and be an absolute beast when these final mods are done. I am hoping for 600 RWHP when complete.

After these mods are done I have to spend a little time rolling fenders. The 295 rear tire rub just a little.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally installed a pmgr starter on my '66 . Not really a big deal as I only have 20 of them in boxes on the shelf !! It is so much nicer to install a lightweight starter in place of the original unit . Put about 45 miles on the car yesterday with my 15 y/o as a passenger . These new roundabouts are actually enjoyable in a car with a tight suspension .

Mike

CREEDCAMBELLEOCT2009 027.JPG Just got my 3rd member back had new bearing put in. Will have my 10 and 6 year old grandsons help paint the rear end housing and 3rd member and we will install the 3rd member and hopefully put it in the car. I have a 66 fastback that has been apart for many years lost interest and money was a big factor wife has had and still has some health issues. anyway we will do what we can.

Finally installed a pmgr starter on my '66 . Not really a big deal as I only have 20 of them in boxes on the shelf !! It is so much nicer to install a lightweight starter in place of the original unit . Put about 45 miles on the car yesterday with my 15 y/o as a passenger . These new roundabouts are actually enjoyable in a car with a tight suspension .

Mike

What do you get for the starters?
Need one for a 351C w/AOD.

From infinity and beyond

Paid the deposit for the I6 I'm having built. It'll be a 1980 block, a 1977 head with a 2V Conversion for a 2 barrel carb, and a mild cam put in it for power and sound.

I had mentioned a while ago I was welding up all the holes in my firewall and the other unwanted holes throughout the engine bay. Well, a couple weeks later I finally got back to the car and finished it up. I can't find the pics I KNOW I took of the welding process. I will come back and add them when I find them. I made no less than a dozen little metal patch pieces to weld into any hole larger than 1/4" diameter. I am far from an accomplished welder but I have to admit I got pretty damn good at patching and plugging holes. I lost count of holes filled at 27! Magnets and copper plate work wonders.
I also HATE all the spot welds especially those that affix the shock towers and aprons. After way too much time with a small grinder, files, a lot of cursing and finally some filler work...viola...nice smooth surfaces! Yeah, I'm a sick individual. But it looks awesome.bay ready for paint.jpg firewall ready for paint.jpg ready for paint.jpg

Last edited:
The car was already shot in 2K epoxy and all this work was on top of that. After the filling and smoothing was all complete I shot more 2K over it and followed with Eastwood's Ceramic Chassis Black. I would have liked it with a tad less sheen but it's not glossy and I like the chemical resistance etc. it provides. I should have used a smaller touch-up gun in some areas though. Tough to spray all the angles straight on so I got a bit of "dry spray" in some lower areas like on the top of the frame rails. No big deal really as other than me no one will ever notice.
I hung up some poly sheeting to try and control the overspray and protect my car's paint. Did the trick.
engine bay spray booth.jpg engine bay spray booth 2.jpg first coat 2K.jpg 2nd coat 2K.jpg 1st coat chassis black.jpg firewall finished.jpg

Final result. Pics as usual don't really reflect the actual color and sheen as well as in person but you get the idea. Really like how the effort to smooth out the spot welds turned out. I will say the Eastwood product sprayed well and flowed out pretty good. I hope it holds up as well as all the reviewers reported. Certainly better than using the old stand by Rustoleum rattle can stuff.

Couple detail pics. I turned the flash up on the last one so you could better see the smoothed out seam.
another look.jpg firewall finished.jpg final look.jpg no more spot welds.jpg

Back