• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Problem with rear drum brakes, I'm out of ideas.

couple more questions:
Do you have a parking brake?
If so can you cause the wheel to lock up with parking brake set, when shoes/adjuster is set to spin freely while lugs are tight?
Do you have an adjustable proportioning valve?
can you set the shoes/adjuster to spin freely and adjust the proportioning valve to give more rear pressure? And by doing so, then cause wheel to lock up when brakes are applied but still spin free when not applied?

No parking brake or parts.

Yes, haven’t tried that!

Mark

As I am sure you are aware....this makes absolutely no sense. The drum should only be in contact with the axle flange, with the exception of a slight drag from the shoes. Tightening it down should just cinch the drum to the axle, unless the drum is contacting either the backing plate or the shoes. I know its a bit of work, but I might be tempted to pull the shoes off and retest it, just to eliminate that option.

When you put on the new shoes and drums, did you replace the hardware like the springs? Maybe compare the length of the old ones to new ones. Maybe the new shoes need them to be shorter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

As I am sure you are aware....this makes absolutely no sense. The drum should only be in contact with the axle flange, with the exception of a slight drag from the shoes. Tightening it down should just cinch the drum to the axle, unless the drum is contacting either the backing plate or the shoes. I know its a bit of work, but I might be tempted to pull the shoes off and retest it, just to eliminate that option.
I agree with you but he did say that he can back off the adjuster so that the wheel/drum spins freely when lugs are tightened but then he has little to no braking from the rear...
If by simply backing off the adjustment so it spins freely with the lugs tight then the drum would grind or make noise or show witness marks he has checked) if it was contacting something.
My thought, which might be way off but still a thought, is the wheel cylinder travel isn't enough (for whatever reason) so that he has to adjust the brakes so tight to get them to grip and if they are backed off the wheel cylinders do not extend enough to grip. I am still not sure why tighening the lugs has anything to do with that though...

Did that today. No change. Yes, I agree it makes no sense.

Mark

When you put on the new shoes and drums, did you replace the hardware like the springs? Maybe compare the length of the old ones to new ones. Maybe the new shoes need them to be shorter.

All new parts. Shoes that came with assembly are exactly the same as the R4 shoes.

Mark

Wtf?

Mark
when I hooked up my alt I was getting sparks, turns out I was hooking the ground up to the positive post of the solenoid. I know, I know this has nothing to do with the brakes. I was trying to be funny but I guess you didn't read my thread on this when I was asking for help. It might have been funny then...

when I hooked up my alt I was getting sparks, turns out I was hooking the ground up to the positive post of the solenoid. I know, I know this has nothing to do with the brakes. I was trying to be funny but I guess you didn't read my thread on this when I was asking for help. It might have been funny then...

LOL

This is how the brakes came from John. We worked jointly on putting this together while I was going through chemo. I removed the parking brake parts since they aren't needed.

I see you are now messing with everyone's heads on this one. At least they get pictures! After reading all this again and having pictures to help stir the brain cells I have a new thought. I'll call you tomorrow to share. Want to look at something at home to confirm first.

I see you are now messing with everyone's heads on this one. At least they get pictures! After reading all this again and having pictures to help stir the brain cells I have a new thought. I'll call you tomorrow to share. Want to look at something at home to confirm first.

Sure....don’t share with the class! I’ve been waiting for you to chime in and now you two are going to have a phone date!

I suspect your problem may be with the drum housing and wheel. Swap drum housings left to right and see if the problem remains on the driver's side. Tighten the lug nuts. If the problem remains, it may be the wheel. If the problem still remains, then something is wrong with the brake assembly/axle/flange housing. If it migrates to the other side, there's a problem with the drum housing or with the wheel. Try to isolate which of the three main pieces is causing the problem.

I suspect your problem may be with the drum housing and wheel. Swap drum housings left to right and see if the problem remains on the driver's side. Tighten the lug nuts. If the problem remains, it may be the wheel. If the problem still remains, then something is wrong with the brake assembly/axle/flange housing. If it migrates to the other side, there's a problem with the drum housing or with the wheel. Try to isolate which of the three main pieces is causing the problem.

Both sides have the problem.

Mark

Yeah what he said!!

Back