• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My wife's old car. A '66 coupe restomod-eration

The engine and transmission is FINALLY all together and in the car for mock up. I feel like this is a huge milestone in my build.

I'd like to thank everyone who has read and commented on my thread. This is my first first big project like this and it helps to motivate me keeping these threads up and receiving comments from other members of the forum. I only hope my project is as helpful to others as the ones I read are to me.

I still have a long way to go but success like this motivate me to keep on.

Looking good every little step is one step closer to your final goal. I see it appears you went with a Mll suspension? I've seen in the past where some with this setup have ran bars from the cowl area to in front of the suspension mounting points for extra support.

From infinity and beyond

Nice build :cool::cool::cool:

What brand of 4-link you bought ?
Exhaust over the axle still possible ??

Sorry so long for the reply. I used a generic parallel 4 link. You can buy them on Ebay or the Ridetech site. I bought mine on ebay. I'm sure they are all made the same place and marketed by different people. I bought this kit because of the minis tubs, narrowed 8.8 diff and the width of my rear wheels. Originally, the bolt on kit is designed to mount to the outside of the frame rails but that was impossible due to the width of the rear tires. We reversed the mounts and moved them to the inside of the the frame rails to give us more room and welded it in. Also the kit was made to fit a 8'' read diff. I went with a 8.8 out of an Exploder which required additional modification. Most of the kits I've seen other than the Ridetech Air 3 link are designed for coil overs. I went with air adjustable shockwaves wanted the most suspention travel possible. We where able to get a lot of articulation out or this 4 link. Much more I think than we would out of a 3 link which was another of my goals. It would have really been tough for me to cut up and modify an expensive suspension kit.

Due to the lowering of the car the exhaust cannot go over the rear and will go out the sides.

image.jpg Sorry so long since an update. The engines been pulled again and the rest of the front sheet metal fitted.

Last edited:
Right now the entire under carriage is being being seam sealed and preserved. Afterwards the entire under carriage will be sprayed with a bed liner. The rear is off for rebuilding and final reassembly. All suspension will powder coated black. I hope to have it on the ground assembled in the next few months. We are taking our time and not cutting any corners. I want this to be one of the best '66 Coupes out there when it's finished.

Looking good glad to see you posting your progress again.

From infinity and beyond.

Never argue with a Moron, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I made a few changes to my earlier posts on this thread by increasing the size of the pictures. I hope it makes it easier for anyone who is interested in the project.

I spent about an hour on the phone with Corey my builder and it has me pretty pumped up. The rear end and rear suspension is going off tomorrow for powder coating then it will go to the mechanic to be all put together. One thing I did and will show when it gets back, is I had the rear vent tubes ground off flush then drilled and tapped to accept GM style differential vent's it's the little details that make a good car great to me. I had planned on installing Wilwood brakes on the rear but with emergency brake installed they are SUPER expensive. I have other places I want to spend that $1000 on the car right now so I will just use the factory rear disc's for now. If anyone has a set of Wilwood rear disc brakes to fit an Explorer 8.8 for a good price I'd be interested in talking with you.

image.jpg Ok. The rear differential is all done. The engine is completed and going to the Dyno tuner to have the cam run in and tuned and to be dynoed. They are expecting it to come in between 550 and 600 hp. Hopefully the bottom will be sprayed soon and it can start going together. That will not be the air filter that lives on the car. It is just until it goes in the car.

Back