• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My wife's old car. A '66 coupe restomod-eration

Body 1.jpg Floors 1.jpg

I bought all Dynacor panels and doors from CJ Pony parts. We've seen nothing but good fit from these. Compared to what was on the car it's like working with snap on tools verse cheap walmart tools. Everything is good quality and fits up with a minimum of work.

Last edited:
Tires 1.jpg The tires came in. The fronts are 255 40 17's the rears are 315 35 17's. The wheels are 8 X 17 Bullitts on the front and 10.5 X 17 Bullits on the rear.

Last edited:
And that is how sits as of right now. The 4 link is being installed. The rear differential will be cut down to fit and I will order the Rod and Custom front suspension. Body work will be ongoing until the new front end comes in. Once the front end is installed the motor will go in for mock up. I have concerns about the height of the engine fitting under the hood. I had originally intended to use the stock hood but due to the height of the engine I might be forced to go with some sort of a fiberglass hood. My first preference is a Big Shelby scoop but Corey thinks I might need to go with a cowl induction hood. Any opinions on this?

I bought a shot peened T5 bell housing. I'm leaning towards a HiPo T5 transmission from Summit. It's supposed to handle up to 600hp. I don't think I'll exceed that. Any opinions on the clutch? Hydralic or cable? I want the best performance and reliability.

I'm holding back on ordering the front suspension because I want Ride Tech Shock waves. As I said I was kinda talked out of them anyone out there have any experience with them on the front of a car? How difficult are they to live with? If I don't do them on the front are they still a possiblity for the rear? I'd like to cary passengers occasionally and think the adjustability would be a real asset. How do they ride and perform compared to coil overs? I've never ridden in a Air ride car so have nothing to compare it to. Any opininos are welcome.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing in my opinion. I too love bigger meats out back. Love to see how the wheel tub work is being done to accommodate. Depending on the work getting that back seat in can be a real problem.

You can run a the 351 with a stock hood. Depending on intake etc. You may need to lower the mount a bit and fab up the oil pan a touch but lots of guys have that engine in an otherwise stock car. I don't know how it sits with that modified front suspension. Not a fan of cowl hoods on these cars. It's a Chevy thing!

We used the DSE mini tub kit.

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1964-1970-m ... -tubs.html

It includes everything needed to install. I chose to go with 4links because I like the look, the versatility and to make more room the tires.

I looked at all types of front suspension. I decided to go with a Mustang 2 style for a lot of reasons. First of all my car is originally a 6 cylinder car with 4 lugs. To go with nearly any type of suspension will cost me a ton replacing steering, spindles, brakes, motor mounts etc. etc. etc. with a M2 kit I get it all for much cheaper along with good handling and I also get to get those annoying shock towers out of the way. What's not to like?

I really would like to run Ride tech Shockwaves on the car for adjustability. I've searched around the internet with very little information on air suspension on classic Mustangs. Anyone here have any experince with this?

"I make oil" said:
I really would like to run Ride tech Shockwaves on the car for adjustability. I've searched around the internet with very little information on air suspension on classic Mustangs. Anyone here have any experince with this?
A good coil over set up with also give you the same type of ability...just not at the push of a button.

Yeah, if I can't get good info on them thats the way I'm going. I have some time before I pull the trigger so I'm going to keep on researching. As of now I'm leaning towards the Shockwaves front and rear with the Ridetech pod system using the ride height sensors. I haven't found any other Mustangs anywhere on the internet running a system like this so I guess I'll be unique. :hmm

If I don't like it I can always switch over to Coil overs.

I bought a TCI Mustang 2 kit with power steering, Shockwaves and Wilwood brakes. Also bought a Wilwood brake master and Ididit steering column with cruise. Waiting on delivery so we can install it. Looking at serpentine kits for the engine. Leaning towards the March Style kit. Any recommendations?

Rear diff 1.jpg Rear 8.8 Diff being narrowed. Once it is complete and all of the 4 link brackets installed it will go off for powder coating along with the rest of the suspension parts.

Last edited:
Thanks, ordered new engine bay panels from Mustangs to Fear. Things have kind of slowed a bit due to other projects in the shop. The engine is going together. I've finally decided on a fiberglass 3'' cowl induction hood to help with room in the engine bay. Still waiting on the rear to be completed. The rear tubs are being modified some to allow the 315's to tuck better. Right now the tires are hitting before the rear suspension is maxed out. I want the suspension to be the limit for the drop not the tires hitting. Will post up pics as I receive them. I currently at work until the middle of July.

If you haven't got your transmission stuff all sorted out yet, contact the guys at Modern Driveline and they can get you fixed up. Cable or hydraulic clutch, shifter, clutch ,bellhousing, transmission, everything you need. They specialize in manual overdrive conversions in early Mustangs. They are local to us here in Idaho, and a great bunch of guys.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/

I am planning to use the modern driveline hydralic clutch set up with a T5 from Gforce. The engine in the car will make between 450 and 500 hp along with HUGE tourq. That along with the 315's would destroy a regular T5 very quickly. My other option was a T56 or someting along those lines but I don't care to cut up my floor board to accomodate them. Thanks for the recommendations.

Back