• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My wife's old car. A '66 coupe restomod-eration

I think the question was how a tire can be 1 to 1.5 inches above the top of the tire.

I too mis-typed. Sorry. The edge of the fender will be there. My mistake. In other words the car ride height will be the same as a car with say coil overs.

Things have been pretty busy. I got to visit with my car some today. The hood is in the front fenders are rolled. Blocking is commencing on the front. I had to order a new front valence as the original was to damaged to use. Will also need a lower grill support. Once all of the parts are in and all the body prep is done I hope to have it painted. Might install the engine prior to paint to protect the new paint from damage during the installation. Here are a few new pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looking good! Make sure you check the fit of the lower grill support before spending time body working it. I had to trash the repo and find a good original due to poor fitment.

Thanks. I hope I don't have that problem. I've ordered Dynacor throughout the build and have had good luck so far. I hope it continues.

image.jpeg jdyess755 was in Louisiana this week and stopped by to see the car last night. It was nice to meet you and the family JD.

The car is in final primer. After it sits for the weekend it will hopefully be ready for paint next week. The doors, hood and front fenders need some more blocking and sanding. The dash and steering column will probably be painted today.

*** edit: To anyone doing or planning on doing a project like this. Deadlines and plans don't seem to mean much. These things happen at their own pace. If you don't work with that then you will be extremely frustrated. It has been a learning experience for me. This isn't like a show on reality TV where they build a car in a week.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

The dash is painted. The doors, hood, fenders, stone guard and front apron are installed. Had questions on the hood but Mr. Maier settled these. It's just a matter of getting all the panels aligned and pins set. Then it's time to pull it all apart again for paint.

Grrrrr!!! Body panel fitting is taking much more time than expected. We're getting there but much slower than I'd like. Door, fender and hood gaps all needing work. I'm thankful my builder Corey isn't just satisfied with good enough. This car will be amazing once it's finally finished.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Getting ready to order my gauges and accessory controls and I'd appreciate some input from the forum members.

I'm am leaning towards Dakota Digital gauges with a GPS speedometer. I have an Ididit steering column that is set up with a GM style cruise control buttons built into the turn signal. I think I will go with the Dakota Digital cruise vice the Ididit as I think it would fit with the gauge package more easily. It is supposed to plug right into the Ididit column with no poblems. Any opinions/experience with Dakota Digital cruise vs. Ididit? Also thinking of installing the digital compass, outside temp, tire pressure monitoring system and convenience package. The convenience package keeps the accessories and lights on for a preset amount of time after stopping the car like a modern car does.

Here is where I am. I am torn between the gauge styles that Dakota Digital sells. Anyone have any experience with any of them?

1965 66 Ford Mustang VHX Dakota Digital | eBay

1965 1966 Ford Mustang Billet Dash Gauges Instruments Dakota Digital Black VHX | eBay

DAKOTA DIGITAL 64 65 Ford Falcon & Mustang Analog Dash Gauge System VHX-64F-FAL

I am leaning towards the 6 gauge system with a the separate Tach. that I linked in the middle. I also like that it has two separate digital information read outs. The interior I am going after is what I call an updated classic style. I want it to look like a high end '66 Mustang. Leather wrapped dash, 1 piece MTF head liner covered in vinyl, Pony style door panels. Nice Leather wrapped center console with a double DIN stereo installed. AC vents are billet. My seats will be Distinctive Industries Touring II in black leather pony style with head rests. The rear seat will be covered to match the front. I have a flaming river waterfall steering wheel. The dash, doors, steering column and any exposed hard surfaces are all painted body color. What do ya'll think would be the best choice for the gauges?

I like the middle one the best.

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thanks for the input. I feel the same way. That is how I am going. I think it will fit the look I'm going for very well.

Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Work and life has been crazy busy. The work on the car has been pretty steady. All the gaps are finished and painting has commenced. Under the hood, inside the doors, under the trunk and the door jambs are all done. The exterior is prepped and ready for paint. Corey got busy in the shop and had to get off of my car for a bit. Should be going into the booth for final paint next week. (Fingers crossed!:confused:)

Once she's all painted it's on to final assembly! I spoke with the interior guy and we have a plan. Parts will begin to be ordered and hopefully a end is in site. The HotRod power tour dates where proposed today and if the stars align and my wife will let me I hope to do it in this car. :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Back