• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My wife's old car. A '66 coupe restomod-eration

image.jpg
Thanks. It's back on the ground and the question with the wheel fit is answered. I'm not very happy with the ride height on the front. In this pic it is completely aired out. I did not get the lowered spindles on the vendors recommendation when I first bought the kit. After seeing this I will be replacing these spindles with the 2" dropped versions. More pics to come once this is sorted out. By the way those are 255X40X17's on 8" wide wheels all tucked under the fender with no flare. :)

Hi, I have a stock 69 with a 351w and a FMX behind it. I intend to go to an AOD. I understand the T5 has overdrive too, so I guess it just depends on whether or not you like shifting manually. I talked to a guy that sold a kit that provided 2000-2003 v6 AOD's that he claims are good to 600hp. His personal car is a Mach1 with a 480hp 351c that's had 48,000 hard miles smoking 3 sets of tires. Good luck with the build and keep the pics coming.

Hi, I have a stock 69 with a 351w and a FMX behind it. I intend to go to an AOD. I understand the T5 has overdrive too, so I guess it just depends on whether or not you like shifting manually. I talked to a guy that sold a kit that provided 2000-2003 v6 AOD's that he claims are good to 600hp. His personal car is a Mach1 with a 480hp 351c that's had 48,000 hard miles smoking 3 sets of tires. Good luck with the build and keep the pics coming.
The 2000-2003 V6 's didn't have AOD's, I think they were EAOD's which require a stand alone computer.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Thanks Grabber. Since you mentioned it, I went back and reviewed the email and yes that's correct... he did say it is an AODE and his favorite spot for the controller is on top if the heater box as it it out of the way and once programmed you never have to see it again. Apparently there are several versions: AOD, AODE, and 4R70W- do you have a preference? He liked the AODE because it was typically put behind a 180hp engine and didn't get thrashed like the others that were used in vans and trucks, etc.

Can't say I have a preference really. I am putting an AOD in my 70, a project that's been going on way to long. I understand that they use the V6 EAOD because the bell housing bolt pattern is the same as our push rod V8's, where the modular V8 has a different bell housing bolt pattern. Might want to check out click click racing or http://www.becontrols.com/ both sites had a lot of good information about Ford OD transmissions.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Ready to order the rear shockwaves, lowered spindles, the compressor and air management system. Corey and crew are blocking the car and getting ready for paint. The doors will go on Monday. The engine and transmission should also go in next week.

I really am happy with the way things are moving along.image.jpg

Looks like color very shortly.

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

All in primer. I still need a hood. The car can roll around completely aired out with the suspension bottomed out and 315's on the back. I think we got their right. Still waiting on my spindles.

image.jpg

Be careful about ride height without an engine and interior installed: those components are likely to lower things even more.

image.jpg

Im about to lower the front of the car 2 more inches with dropped spindles. I'm not worried about ride hieght. I can make it whatever I want it to be.

New spindles are in. TCI are awesome to work with. The ride height is exactly where I wanted it. To go any lower would require lower profile tires, a notch or perhaps a full frame conversion. I think the way it is will be perfect.

I really like that rake. :)

.image.jpg

Last edited:
Later, once it's on the road depending on the turning radius I might either go with a slightly different offset on the front wheel or install a small spacer to move the wheel out a bit and help with the turning radius. The front fender will have the lip rolled to give a bit more room as well. It looks like it will be good but I won't know for sure until it's finished and driving.

This picture show the difference with the lowered spindles straight on you can see the other above. Standing up it looks like it tucks rim but straight on shows a different story.

image.jpg

The car has ridetech shockwaves. In this picture it is completely aired out and all suspension is at its lowest position. When the car is at ride height the control arms will be at or barely above parallel which as I understand is optimum for performance and comfort.

Back