• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My new old truck

Snapped a starter bolt off in the block. Yay.... now I need to find a 1/4 to 5/16 left hand drill but to get that dude out.

I was trying to get it to run off the tank... probably need to pull the tank and blow the lines out. I tried a filter before the pump but had no success before snapping the starter bolt.
that sux

Think I've almost come to the conclusion to get it as a driver and make some money off it. Impulse buy that I'm kinda regretting lol.

Fst Blk, I picked up a 15pc set of those the other day for $22 for just such occasions.

Tarafied1. No, but not just because it's a 2wd Chevy, but also because it lacks enough seating for a family of 4.

Now if you had a K5 of siminar vintage...

I found a bit at a local mining/machine shop. I'm friends with the owner so he let me borrow it. Forgot it in my work truck today though.

Fst Blk, I picked up a 15pc set of those the other day for $22 for just such occasions.

Tarafied1. No, but not just because it's a 2wd Chevy, but also because it lacks enough seating for a family of 4.

Now if you had a K5 of siminar vintage...
I knew the answer before I asked!

Think I've almost come to the conclusion to get it as a driver and make some money off it. Impulse buy that I'm kinda regretting lol.
bummer. They are pretty cool trucks and easy as well as cheap to work on. BUT I understand

Not so much a bummer. It's in the way really. I thought Jordan would like it but he's not into the classics. I won't sell it unless I double my money either. Use that to finish the stang. If it won't bring my price then it won't go lol.

Not so much a bummer. It's in the way really. I thought Jordan would like it but he's not into the classics. I won't sell it unless I double my money either. Use that to finish the stang. If it won't bring my price then it won't go lol.
maybe it will grow on him. My boys didn't really get into the cars until they were ready to drive. Now they each have two!

I'll go ahead and consider myself lucky right now.
My boy, age 6 is already eyeballing my 63.5 Falcon.
My daughter, age 7.5, already laid claim to her Mom's (my) 68 Mustang. I'll let those two fight over it. We all know who has to fix it.

I hear that sometimes it skips a generation.

And by "it", I mean good taste in the classics.

When I was learning to drive Dad had a 71 Cheyenne Super 1/2 ton 350. We also had a 72 Caprice. It was a nice truck even if you could hear the fuel slushing around behind you. (Fuel tank right behind the seat) That would be it behind my first Mustang. He sold it and bought a Courier. But he sold it to my uncle, moms older brother. When I got out of the USAF and was going to school I worked for my uncles at their machine shop part time. He still had the truck and I got to drive it a couple of times picking up/delivering parts. Uncle beat the crap out of it, overloaded it, and it just kept on going. My other uncle in Pennsylvania had a 72 Cheyenne Super with a 400 because he used it to tow his trailer. Lesson that uncle John taught me was that the 72 mirror was glued to the windshield, before that mounted to the roof.

fd

Attachments

• Jul09~02.JPG
    Jul09~02.JPG
    599.7 KB · Views: 21
I started bugging my parents to let ME buy a vehicle at about 13. It was an F1 with a small block Chevy. I did eventually get my first car at 15, a 67 Mustang coupe. My dad was/is a gear head and I got the bug early. My kids have all got it too but the real interest wasn't until they got into thier teens. Now my younger son has some wild taste. He has a 67 G20 Chevy van and now the Bobcat (Pinto). My middle son took over my wifes 99GT and has a 69 Mach1 project. My oldest son has an Audi A6 and a 97 Mustang.
As far as my Cheyenne Super, I do love it. The 350 is WAY under powered. The suspension is a bit soft for a truck but it drives nice empty. And the gas tank right behind the seat doesn't bother me but one of these days I may move it under the bed. It's beat up but still gets a lot of attention. It's hard to compare it to my (former) 79 F250 4x4 since the the Cheyenne is 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton but the 79 F350 with a 400M was my favorite truck I have ever owned. They do/did both get horrible gas mileage though!

Well, thought I would update this. So, long story short, this truck had been sitting in my dad's barnyard since I was 19-20. Kind of an odd situation that I still don't want to get into... Anyhow, I had planned to sell it up until my dad passed. Now it has become an obsession to get this thing to driver status, so I'm trying to hash it all out.

Anyhow, got the old starter bolt out and heli coiled it. It needs to be drilled deeper so I can shim the starter, but it's working for the moment. I have since got rid of the tank behind the seat because the sending unit was bad. For a little more than a replacement sending unit, I found an in frame tank and sending unit. It took some work, but its in and I got the truck running. After a tune-up and a replacement Holley carb, me and my brother drove it Saturday. Manual drum brakes suck, but I did switch it over to power steering years ago. Anyhow, gonna switch it over to power disc and start driving it alot.

Some pics for you visual guys. Like I said, sitting has not been good to her.
20160904_162806_zps0r6puqqn.jpg 20160904_162819_zpsnq040ubr.jpg 20160904_162824_zpsgjmvkd2v.jpg 20160904_162832_zpsrhvnpsfe.jpg 20160904_162836_zpsrpkzeeys.jpg 20160904_162841_zpsckwv0rq6.jpg 20160904_162930_zps4db4b2b8.jpg 20160904_162950_zpsbwibgzss.jpg

Found some Krylon paint that kinda matches and painted the hood.

20161122_122646_zpslsvxyilt.jpg

I sanded it and kinda gave it a patina to match the rest of the truck. From the pics you can see she will need the normal cheby stuff such as rockers, cab corners, and it will need some attention to the cab mounts. The worst part is the inner roof area where the drip rails must be leaking.

Oh and did I mention the driver bedside???

20160515_195050_zpsx2zrmzzc.jpg 20160515_195041_zpswucnxpqa.jpg 20160904_162901_zps7zkcbbh6.jpg

Me and the boy picked up some original long wheel base bedsides for 30 bux. So I plan to cut this out and replace it.

mine is rusting above the windshield too. I cannot find anywhere on the outside where it could leak. Weird
20160904_162841_zpsckwv0rq6-jpg.28884

I have a customer with a 70 C10 with the same windshield rust too. Must be pretty common.

Yeah. Good mark makes a replacement panel for 90 bux. Before I found that I thought it would be a lot of work to repair.

Back