• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel Pricing

And you do not have to pump your own fuel anymore. They do that for you in good ‘ol Orygone. :rolleyes:

fd
Where I live, due to the low population, there are, for regular gasoline, exceptions to the 'attendant must fuel' rules, in certain areas at certain times. In general, it's sparsely populated area stations with limited hours. After hours, some the pumps are set to self-serve. My local station, which serves the nearby town of under 1,000, is like that.

While we folks with diesel vehicles can self serve, the attendants are usually happy to fuel for us and some still clean windows and check fluids, though that's increasingly rare these days. It's usually guys my age who are still working who do that.

One can expect lower prices for fuel in Oregon compared to California, as well as a much slower pace of life, at least in the coastal region where I live.. The latter took some getting used to. No rush.

One thing I have noticed here with the higher fuel prices is it's deathly quiet on the local roads. Tourism and people coming to their beach homes has really dried up. Dune Fest was busy in August but things died hard after that. Signs of the times.

Still paying right around $5 per gallon here in California. It just doesn’t make sense.

Yesterday's average in Atlanta GA: $3.077, $3.515, $3.922, $4.159. The difference in California and Georgia is taxes to help pay for the lefties buying votes with their free give-aways. I lived in California for 64 years, but just couldn't take it anymore and finally moved. The only thing good about southern California now is the weather.
In case you are wondering, the first are the standard three grades and the last is the good stuff- RV fuel. That's what I feed my Vette. Do they still have RV fuel in California?

Last edited:
Yesterday's average in Atlanta GA: $3.077, $3.515, $3.922, $4.159. The difference in California and Georgia is taxes to help pay for the lefties buying votes with their free give-aways. I lived in California for 64 years, but just couldn't take it anymore and finally moved. The only thing good about southern California now is the weather.
In case you are wondering, the first are the standard three grades and the last is the good stuff- RV fuel. That's what I feed my Vette. Do they still have RV fuel in California?
We have three octanes 87, 89 and 91. I have never seen any fuel here referred to as RV fuel?

We have three octanes 87, 89 and 91. I have never seen any fuel here referred to as RV fuel?
I think he is referring to a higher octane variety that can be found here and there, typically in areas that have nearby race tracks, etc. I've never heard anything called RV either.

What state do you live in? As I said we have the usual three grades and some stations like Sonoco have the good stuff that is marketed as "RV Fuel" (it says that right on the pump) and is 100 octane

That would be Sonoco "racing fuel". Like I said, certain locations offer it if there are off road vehicle tracks in the area, i.e. dirt circle tracks.
racing-fuel.jpg

Last edited:
Is the RON rating standard across the world? We have 91, 95 and 98 down here.

High octane racing fuel used to be sold in some states here, but the only thing you get now is E85.

Last edited:
What state do you live in? As I said we have the usual three grades and some stations like Sonoco have the good stuff that is marketed as "RV Fuel" (it says that right on the pump) and is 100 octane

California. And we don’t have any stations around here that sell 100 octane anymore. Our 87 is more than that 100.

I don't think the spread between the 3 grades is that extreme here in CA. I haven't been paying attention lately, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 20 cents difference from one to the next.

I don't think the spread between the 3 grades is that extreme here in CA. I haven't been paying attention lately, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 20 cents difference from one to the next.
Oh, they counted on us not paying attention. The spread has been growing now for quite a while. I will be filling up this morning but its been around $.40 plus for quite a while. Here in Illinois the spread gets bigger each bump in octane, as I recall. I will come back and edit in actual prices later today.

Price difference this morning was and even $.50 a gallon for each step up in octane. This was a at a Murphy station. The Shell around here adds even more and the bump grows greater to get 93 compared to the bump from 87 to 91.

Last edited:
Our fuel industry is unregulated, so they can charge what they like. So instead of minimising the cost our government publishes pricing on a daily basis.

The idea is you fill up at the cheapest option. Note the variability in price over 3 suburbs which are pretty close to each other. I think there is a lot of price colusuon rather than competition over here . Rember the price is per litre so you have to times by 4 for a gallon price.

Here in Chicagoland prices can vary widely for multiple reasons. Taxes are a big one. Some municipalities can add on their own taxes on top of the Fed and State. Next you have location. If there are fewer stations and enough demand the price gets raised. Hell, if you are the right corner in terms of traffic flow you can charge more as high volume traffic might make it undesirable to have to cross traffic (light delays, etc) rather than pay more for the ease of traveling in a straight line. I routinely see variance in gas price if I travel from the southland up in to Wisconsin of up to $.30 or more a gallon.

I took the lazy way out and went to Google Street View. In February of this year at a local 76 station--regular 4.899, mid grade 5.059, premium 5.199.

Back