• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel Pricing

Can't remember last time I paid much attention, but at almost $9 I would be!

I think it was around $4/gal for premium

Can't remember last time I paid much attention
This is the problem. People have short attention spans and are easily distracted. When the average gas prices were in the mid $3 range a couple years ago it was daily news fodder. Now we pay over $4 and nothing is even mentioned. Prior to the current administration and their energy policy, 87 pump gas was averaging in the low $2.30 range around here during the Trump years. There were times it was below $2. Since then its been at its lowest average around $3.65 but typically at or slightly above $4 a gallon the past couple years. Its on the rise again now and nearing $4. Again. The talking heads will start spewing the old "Putin's Gas Tax" BS again and the sheeple will go silently back into the barn as they are told. If they don't, we will get the same old crap about the bazillion open drilling permits that those greedy oil guys won't use even though anyone with a brain can see the lies behind that rhetoric. Then again, Biden could always drain the oil out of the reserves to save us all a penny or two a gallon. What? Most of it is already gone? You mean the oil Trump bought at record low prices was squandered and lost as a political ploy that did nothing to solve the problem? Who would have guessed. And never mind the policy moves that have decimated and limited the ability to take advantage of our own domestic operations/supply. Or how Biden has damaged our relationship with OPEC and particularly the Saudis. Maybe he should go back over there and beg some more. That worked out well the last time. Come to think of it, do you think that maybe the Big Guy's push to irradicate ICE vehicles might be having a negative affect on the oil and gas industry?

The Nightly News tells us inflation is up just a few points yet everything we purchase is up 10, 20, 30, 50%! Worse, if you notice that the package/volumes of those pantry items keeps shrinking as well. Mortgage rates in the U.S. have more than tripled (as of this morning almost quadrupled). The same principle amount 30 year fixed mortgage loan on the same property that would have been $900 a couple years ago now costs you over $1800 a month. That's for a $240k loan which in any decent market is well below the typical single family home sales price. Try to buy in a larger metropolitan area and the skyrocketing rates make buying near impossible. 2008 might have been just a little bubble...

Our current President just went and a made a couple minute walk on the UAW picket line yesterday. Showing his support for union autoworkers demanding a 40% increase in their base pay over the next 5 years. That coupled with a reduction in their work week from 40 to just 32 hours. Seems fair. 40% higher pay for just 80% of the old work effort. I can see why old Joe would get behind that, demented as he is. Literally. I'm sure now that our government has chosen a side in those discussions I can't wait for them to have to step in and help settle the negotiations. Should play out well.

All the while, Lurch is strolling the sacred halls of Washington in ghetto beach wear.

Any yet poll after poll still shows Biden getting some near 50% support from the American voter. By just about any metric we are living in some of the worst times in the history of our country but folks seem to not mind, I guess. I am starting to see commercials on TV now telling us to go out and get our next round of COVID boosters. Taylor Swifts new beau was in the ad I saw last. Even as more and more facts are revealed about its origin and the government cover-ups surrounding it and all the lies Fauci and the CDC repeatedly spewed on the nightly news casts I'm willing to bet those same 50% of Americans will be heading down to their local CVS for their next jab.

What will it take for people to wake the fuck up? Oh, and Good Morning, all!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's true. Our president, whoever he or she is, can absolutely control the price of gasoline. It's not like gasoline is a global commodity, where supply and demand dictate the price. Just because the Saudis and Russkies decided to lower their output to raise prices would have any effect on the price of gasoline in the US; that can only happen to all other countries and not the US. Why? Because our President controls the price of gasoline as a political weapon and no one else in the world can do it but him.

BTW, did you know that the price of gas in the US is lower than almost all other countries? We're ranked 74th out of 99, with the top country being Hong Kong (most expensive, #1) and Egypt (cheapest #99).

Yeah, it's true. Our president, whoever he or she is, can absolutely control the price of gasoline. It's not like gasoline is a global commodity, where supply and demand dictate the price. Just because the Saudis and Russkies decided to lower their output to raise prices would have any effect on the price of gasoline in the US; that can only happen to all other countries and not the US. Why? Because our President controls the price of gasoline as a political weapon and no one else in the world can do it but him.

BTW, did you know that the price of gas in the US is lower than almost all other countries? We're ranked 74th out of 99, with the top country being Hong Kong (most expensive, #1) and Egypt (cheapest #99).
Sorry, I guess I needed to remind some people that I am not a child and might have some idea how the global economy works. Or how U.S. policy affects EVERYTHING around the globe including oil pricing. Or how the U.S. has enough of its own oil producing capacity to affect global market oil prices. You know, just how the current idiot in office decided to deplete our reserves to give everyone sitting around their kitchen tables " a little breathing room". Just like his dear old huckster dad used to say. Of course that move did next to nothing but actually opening the door to increased domestic production on the other hand...

All that aside, Mid, the point of my rant (which was on point and all accurate) was that the last three years have been devastating on our economy and people with even worse on the way and yet there are a huge number of us who seem to keep our Red or Blue blindfolds on and refuse to acknowledge reality. Like those who credit the return to work following the pandemic as new job creation numbers, for example. Perhaps its time we lose the jerseys and vote for policy before its too late. Strong leadership and solid financial policy/actions are what we need for a recovery none of which we have seen for quite some time. Orange man bad can't hurt you again its safe to use your brains now.

I am on place 15.
And 30% of our paycheck goes to the state for medical care , pension , public road , social institute for people w disaboliries and such. Yeh, its tough but we did safe some money over the years. I always pay cash and use creditcard to a minimum. Something my kids don't do and use creditcard for even buying a sandwich , something I always disapprove.
The kids overhere takes over the american lifestyle which its gonna be a dissaster with our tax policy for them in the future. I warn my kids often for this. And certainly in a time where everything changes very rapidly.
Just my hillbilly thoughts.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

People see production numbers and don't think that things like cancelling leases will have an impact. More so in the US than elsewhere, the commodities market has a big impact on the price we pay.

Agree. It's all about popular politics so the pollies get a life pension, rather than focus on what's needed.

You paid attention to what the first lady (any first lady) wore? Hmmm.
Only because the hyper-partisan media went crazy over it for days. No doubt as a means to distract from the more important matters of the day. And with that I will stop letting this cause this thread to go off the course and stop there.

I'm a historical diesel consumer so can relate to those prices.... back when I was working as a grunt carpenter while going to college during Carter, an hour's wage, before taxes, bought about 20 gallons of diesel. The last time I bought diesel, now three weeks ago, the end of using about 350 gallons of the stuff to move the last of the shop to Oregon, the lowest I paid was 5.89/gal and the most was 6.29/gal. One can do the math to suss out the wage necessary to buy 20 gallons of it. Well over 100 bucks an hour.

Recently Russia placed a ban on diesel exports; while that might not affect the U.S. directly, U.S. oil companies aren't stupid; they'll direct supplies to the banned markets where dearth of supply and demand naturally raise prices, affecting domestic supplies.

Now permanently in Oregon, diesel is about 50 cents to a buck cheaper a gallon than in California; the local dealer at the coast sells it currently for 5.19/gal. Glad I have a good bike I can ride to town if needed. Also, Oregon only charges 63 bucks a year for registration for the truck, even if it were new, compared to CA charging nearly 400/yr for a 37 yo truck. That buys a lot of diesel too.

I see the fuel situation as a symptom of larger socio-economic ills. The chasm between the haves and have nots is widening. Best wishes to all :)

Now permanently in Oregon, diesel is about 50 cents to a buck cheaper a gallon than in California; the local dealer at the coast sells it currently for 5.19/gal.

And you do not have to pump your own fuel anymore. They do that for you in good ‘ol Orygone. :rolleyes:

fd

Back