• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Fuel filler Mods

I have one used neck on the way as of this coming Monday. There is a guy here with about 8-10 of them he is willing to sell cheap if you need them. Most are 65/66.

Between $5 and $10 each plus your shipping I would guess. I need to get back with him and verify the price. New ones run $30+ at NPD.

When you get to...or close to perfection (in your eyes) please let us know.

I'm interested too.

I'm finally able to offer my assessment of the filler mod. Sorry it's taken me so long. I'm happy to report that it's a success. :tigg There was some question as to whether the California style gas nozzles would work alright with this mod. I put $30 worth of premium in and at no time did the auto shutoff kick in. I tried several different positions of the nozzle and found that I still have to hold the handle such that the nozzle is pointed downward. If I hold the handle down toward the bumper (nozzle pointed high in the filler), gas starts to trickle out. The pop-open cap pretty much forces me to hold the nozzle to the side anyway, which works just fine. At no time did it gush out like it did before. I didn't fill the tank, though I'd like to try that next time.

Thanks, Craig, for hitting upon this idea, and modding my filler for me. :danc

Frank

Hi all,

I'm new here and new to classic mustangs. I have a 68 and I have been wondering what are my options to change out the fueling process. My car doesn't move yet so I have no idea how the stock filling works out. But here are a few questions I have:

Is their a way to delete the filler neck and just fill the tank some how from inside the trunk?

With this mod, you can still have fuel get onto your paint?

Is it possible to change from a 68 screw on cap to a pop open or lockable cap? will this make a difference in fueling?

I have a coupe by the way and am just curious as to what I can do to make fueling easy and keep gas off the future paint ;-)

"68angrypony" said:
Hi all,

I'm new here and new to classic mustangs. I have a 68 and I have been wondering what are my options to change out the fueling process. My car doesn't move yet so I have no idea how the stock filling works out. But here are a few questions I have:

Is their a way to delete the filler neck and just fill the tank some how from inside the trunk?
Yes, many track cars do this

With this mod, you can still have fuel get onto your paint?
Of course, you still need to get the filler into the trunk area, you can still get gas on the rear taillight panel, it will drip...
Is it possible to change from a 68 screw on cap to a pop open or lockable cap? will this make a difference in fueling? Yes, they bolt on the same way

I have a coupe by the way and am just curious as to what I can do to make fueling easy and keep gas off the future paint ;-) Coupe, FB and Convertible are all the same when it comes to fuel system

Not a problem to fill inside the trunk, just keep the nozzle pointed up, then flip it over to fill.

11120828.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"KBMWRS" said:
When you get to...or close to perfection (in your eyes) please let us know.

I'm interested too.

+1 I have an extra 67 neck I could send anytime!!

I make an unholy mess every time I fuel up. I haven't figured out how to hold the nozzle to prevent splashback, yet. So, this is of interest to me.

I have a concern about corrosion. It would seem that this tube needs to be re-galvanized after the mod...

Well I'll have to let Frank and Rick speak up also. I have had mine in for a while, I've even driven in the rain and still no sign of rust or corrosion. I do think a gas tank sealer would be cheap enough. I got some left over stuff from my dad but it was dried up. I got my tanks refilled and bought some braqzing rod, then I brazed Rick's after having trouble burning holes in Frank's. That worked better. I have a filler tube from Pete, I will braze it too and see if I can get some gas tank sealer. Money has been tight with Xmas and all. My Mustang funds have been depleted! I'm selling some junk on ebay so I hope to get more supplies. Dave gave me a filler neck with the POS 67 so I have another one to play with.

I have mine installed and have one fill up under my belt since. I still have a small leak, but I think its because that one spot on the bottom wasnt brazed. I have the one I took off if you want I can send it to you Craig, or next time you fly through DFW you can pick it up.

"Fast68back" said:
I have mine installed and have one fill up under my belt since. I still have a small leak, but I think its because that one spot on the bottom wasnt brazed. I have the one I took off if you want I can send it to you Craig, or next time you fly through DFW you can pick it up.
when you say leak, do you mean it leaks into the trunk? Or splash back thru the filler hole? I left a small spot unbrazed at the bottom for a "drain" so fuel wouldn't stay there between the new plate and cap. I may eliminate that and/or the hole I drilled in mine. I get some splash from the hole on mine if I let the pump auto shut-off. I don't know if that drain is totally needed.

No, not a leak into the trunk, still a small fuel spill when filling at more than half throttle. I assume its the hole at the bottom. I would maybe try the hole at the top so it can still vent.

I was also thinking maybe move it back some in case someone wants to add a fuel additive or fuel injector cleaner. If its closer to the back of the filler neck it would be easier to insert the bottle of additive.

Back