• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What's it worth type ?

daveSanborn

My brother called me today asking me if I was interested in another Mustang. "Not really" was my initial response, but after going to look at the car, I might be.....

It appears to be a '99 model year (I can't tell for sure). V6/Convertable/Automatic, under 150k miles, clean interior. It suffered a very minor front end hit and was totaled by the insurance company. The present owner bought it back and is now wanting to sell it for "a few" hundred dollars..... specifically $4-500.

ALL of the damage is purely cosmetic. Both front fenders were undamaged from the accident although the plastic bumper's paint is "shot" as the amount of flexing in the rubber was more than the paint could withstand. The hood buckled a little bit and would have to be replaced. The drivers side door would also need to be replaced.

Both driver and passenger front airbags deployed.

It looks as if the damage is 100% cosmetic and replacing a few body pieces..... and the air bags... would get the car back on the road.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a vehicle like this back on the road? Is the airbag situation going to kill any value to this deal? I need another car like I need a whole in my head, but everything looks pretty simple to fix.

Advice?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

The air bags will not be as bad as the salvaged title since it was totaled. In my past dealings, most salvaged title cars took a 50% hit when booked out so if that car booked when done at $6000, you better not have $3000 in it. That salvage title would kill the deal for me if I was looking at flipping. Now, I could drive the heck out of it if I could put in on the road reasonable.

I could drive the heck out of it if I could put in on the road reasonable.

This would get me out from the 15 year old daughters desire to "build her a Coupe". I REALLY don't want to build another classic Mustang..... and especially to hand the keys over to a first time driver. IMO, it's idiotic to do so, but then there's my wife....

I'd rather hand over the keys to a salvage titled late model Mustang.....

That sounds like a wise plan to me Dave. My first car was a 1967 Pontiac Firebird with a hot little 350 chebby in it. I didn't get to drive it until 18. First 2 years were driving an '84 (?) Datsun 4-banger pickup. Got some seat time in before hand.

Agree with the others. not worth the trouble if you're just going to flip it, but a good candidate for a "kid' car. Well, except maybe for insurance $$$

I've moved on and away from this deal. After looking at the parts/prices/time to repair the car... I'd have spent more than the car would be worth. It'd be easier/cheaper just to go buy her one that wasn't wrecked.

Back