• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Welcome to the Late Model Section!

joesgt281

Many of us that have vintage stangs also appreciate the power, style, and refinement of the later model offerings.
I, myself, have a 67 GT500 replica, and a 97 Saleen replica which is my daily driver.
I am your host for this section, but it's really your section, for those who have or just appreciate the later models of Mustangs.
So tell me what you'd like to see in terms of child forums or other ways to enhance this section.
And post up pics and stories about your current/past/or hopeful future late model toys.
Joe

I can't find any digital pics of my 85 GT but I'll see if I can scan some in. I bought it used in 87. It was a 5.0 5 speed, no frills. It was my daily driver for many years. The engine was basically stock but I did put a true dual Mac off-road SS exhaust system on it. I eventually broke the T5 so I had a world class T5 built with a lower 1st gear. Then I broke the spider gears in the 7.5 rear. I bought an 8.8 Ford Motorsports axle with 3.55:1 gears and that was a huge improvement over the 2.79:1 it came with. I drove it in the cruel Northern rustbelt winters so it began to rust. It was repainted dark blue metallic with silver instead of the tape on graphics. It looked really good, then my X got it in the divorse. She totalled it by hitting a guard rail! I bought it back from her and peaced it together with parts from an 81. I drove it again as a daily driver but it was pretty sad looking. When I remarried I taught my new wife to drive a manual trans with it. I eventually sold it to a guy who put a C4 in it and drag raced it at Route 66 in Joliet IL. I miss it, it was a great car.

Yeah, it was rode hard and put away wet as they say! This picture is what it looked like. I stopped in the Ford dealer to look at a new 87 GT and I saw the 85 on the lot. I ended up taking it home. In 93 The salesman called me to come look at a Cobra. I almost bought it too but insurance payments stopped me. I still regret not buying the Cobra.
72_26_11_08_9_21_06.jpg

Back