• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tyre pressures

limeyboy

Hi,
I have 245 / 60 / 15 BFG's on my 70 Mach 1 (351) I'm trying to get the pressures right and wonder if any one has any suggestions?
I'm running 28lbs all around at the moment.
Cheers
Jeff

The best way to determine correct tire pressure is when the tire patch on the ground is even across the tread; this maximizes the contact patch with pressure. How to determine? Simple...lay a bead of water down on cement and drive the car across the water. Observe how the water pattern goes when the tire line dries: you want the water pattern to disappear equally across the tire patch. If it disappears at the end in the middle of the tire patch, then the tire is over pressurized; if on the end(s), then it is under pressurized.

Manufacturer tire pressure from the car company is based upon that particular tire brand, car weight, but most importantly, mileage (think CAFE). Tire ratings are based upon maximum tire pressure not for your particular vehicle.

The best way to determine correct tire pressure is when the tire patch on the ground is even across the tread; this maximizes the contact patch with pressure. How to determine? Simple...lay a bead of water down on cement and drive the car across the water. Observe how the water pattern goes when the tire line dries: you want the water pattern to disappear equally across the tire patch. If it disappears at the end in the middle of the tire patch, then the tire is over pressurized; if on the end(s), then it is under pressurized.

Manufacturer tire pressure from the car company is based upon that particular tire brand, car weight, but most importantly, mileage (think CAFE). Tire ratings are based upon maximum tire pressure not for your particular vehicle.
I like that idea, but as I'm in the UK I will have to wait for a "dry and warm day" :) could be a long wait :-(

Back