• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

They're Heeeere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JeffTepper

My son was up at Sonoma Raceway today on business and sent me some pics of a 65 Mustang fastback with a Tesla powerplant and battery pack. Apparently it is a custom build and there was some EV activity going on up there that included this car.

Sonoma Raceway Event 11-12-21.1.jpg

Sonoma Raceway Event 11-12-21.2.jpgSonoma Raceway Event 11-12-21.4.jpgSonoma Raceway Event 11-12-21.3.jpg

Looks to have a dual motor ?
Have mixed feeling about this.
It must be possible to have a motorsport fueled by fossile fuel in the future cause when converting to electricity, motorsport will die imho.
We must go to zero emission when it comes to our daily use of energy, home or industrie. But there has to be some room for the motorsport/hobby in general.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

We must go to zero emission when it comes to our daily use of energy, home or industrie.
Why do we have to go zero emission? It's estimated that global transportation is responsible for only about 15% of all C02 emissions. https://www.c2es.org/content/international-emissions/
That's half that created by the generation of our electricity and heating needs. A typical car emits just under 5 metric tons of emissions per year. A semi-truck is well over 200 metric tons. In the US, trucks produce just about as much C02 emissions as all the cars. You want to electrify something? Mandate the move to electric trucking. Realizing of course that the astronomical cost of such will be borne by we the consumer. Of course, the real win would be to go to a full nuclear power grid around the world but for some ridiculous reason politicians want to make the globe look like a pasture in Holland. Nothing "wrong" with passive energy creation like wind and solar except that they are not reliable (ask Europe) and can never be more than a part of a full system. Not to mention, the majority of solar components are made in China (like everything else) and those folks don't give a damn about cutting emissions. They are building new coal plants every day of the week. We could eliminate 100% of US emissions and it would make no difference as China will fill that void and a whole lot more to go along with it in the next few years. But yeah, let's force Americans to give up what has been our defining culture for the last 80 years or so. I'll bet that growing number of working poor can't wait to be forced to give up their old beaters to save the planet. :rolleyes:

Or we could make some good commonsense moves to ease our affects on the environment as technologies continue to develop and guide us down the path to a greener future. The world is not going to end in ten years. Florida is not going to be underwater any more than those of us that were children in the 70's are now forced to wear parkas year round as we endure this new ice age our grandparents created. I'm going to go get some ethanol free high octane and go melt my tires a bit to do my part to bring on the end of mankind.

Don't mean to derail just disagree we have to flip our way of life upside down overnight to appease a bunch of political knuckleheads. Not saying we can't and shouldn't make changes and work toward a better tomorrow. Just that it doesn't have to be literally tomorrow!

And as far as that car goes. Hard pass. Classic cars lose 100% of their appeal when you tear out their soul.

I dont have a problem with the EV Mustang. Its just another progression in the hobby, no different to diesel replacing petrol, EFI replacing carby or OHV replacing Sidevalve. It wont become 100% of the powerplants available. Dont like Chebby's, get a Ford. Dont like EV's, get a dinosaur fueled.

100+ years ago you'd be yelling about there were no more stables in town and those damn automobiles were going 20mph on a country road!

100+ years ago you'd be yelling about there were no more stables in town and those damn automobiles were going 20mph on a country road!
Maybe but I wasn't here to grow up as a lover of horse drawn carriages. I did grow up wrenching on the muscle cars of the 60's and it became and remains one of my life's passions. I don't use a car just to go from A to B. For me, a car is an experience and every drive meant to be savored. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a time when dad would pile us into the old station wagon and we'd go on long vacation road trips. My brother and I sliding around on the bare metal deck in the back of wagon whenever dad would gas it or take a turn a bit aggressively. The drive was the best part of the vacation
As I entered my teens and got wheels of my own a little extra cash meant bolting on something new to try and find a little more speed or make it sound a little meaner. Not much longer I was pulling and rebuilding engines. Instead of relying on an Accel Super Coil to help me win that next race I had graduated to cam swaps and such. Young adulthood brought marriage and then kids which slowed my roll a bit but didn't end it. I moved up to a Fox body and then a couple even newer cars before my current 65 brought me back full circle to where I started. Now I'm back at it in earnest taking things even further with the work I'm doing on the truck.

The America I know is one centered around a car culture. A loud and greasy and high octane smelling nirvana. Excuse me if boring electric vehicles don't excite me. My time left here is short. Just let me enjoy it. After I'm dead you can all pile into your self-driving public transportation vehicles and sit there patting yourselves on the back for saving the humpback whales or whatever gets you off.

Very cool. Ford now sells both crate engines and crate motors. The crate motors supposably bolts up in place of the engine.

I had that idea in 2008. Never did anything about it. My loss.

Mel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Its why we drive these old cars. Nostalgia. The world moves on regardless of what we remember or wish would stay constant.

Its why we drive these old cars. Nostalgia. The world moves on regardless of what we remember or wish would stay constant.
My point is to leave my shit alone. You want an electric buy a Tesla or that new POS Mach E. Classics deserve better than that. Now drop it and get off my lawn!

Looks to have a dual motor ?
Have mixed feeling about this.
It must be possible to have a motorsport fueled by fossile fuel in the future cause when converting to electricity, motorsport will die imho.
We must go to zero emission when it comes to our daily use of energy, home or industrie. But there has to be some room for the motorsport/hobby in general.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk
How did we get around a little over a hundred years ago? Horses. Are they gone? Nope. People still ride for pleasure and race for money. Fossil fueled cars will be around, maybe only for the rich. But maybe for the same thing.

fd

I'm not ignorant of the past nor blind of the future. Issue is this new future is a rapid escalation brought on by purely political forces at a pace far outpacing its own reality. The only reason I care is because my first love is a victim of this ignorance.

Just about 90% of the US electrical grid is powered by either fossil fuels or hydro. 10% comes from renewables. Electric cars aren't all that green.
We can build a bazillion windmills and put solar panels across the desert but its a fools folly with today's technology. The cost of the panels vs the energy delivered over their useable lifespan continues to be a bad investment. Ask anyone in AZ who tried to go solar about their financial reality. The only winner there is the electric companies and the solar sellers. Build a giant sea of panels across the southern desert, perfect. Now all you have to do is get that energy you collect somewhere where it can be used. Finding ways to replace the current power sources in our (and the world's) power grids with renewables is a long way off from reality. We could easily go full nuclear and have the cleanest most reliable system possible...ever...but we won't because the political class has already made the minions opposed to such a dangerous (sarcasm) source. So for now all your environmentally friendly Teslas will have to keep rolling on coal power. Save Willy!

Tech will eventually win the day, it always does but until then its a lie. Hell, don't believe me. Buy yourself a fully electric and make a cross-country road trip. That'll be fun. Be sure to get yourself one of those phone apps to help find places to plug in along the way. I'm sure that stretch through Nebraska into Colorado will be fine. Or maybe you should go on a more southernly trek across the broad expanse of TX into New Mexico. It'll be fine. Just be sure to pack lots of water.

We could easily go full nuclear and have the cleanest most reliable system possible...ever...but we won't because the political class has already made the minions opposed to such a dangerous (sarcasm) source.

This is one (of many) things that really bugs me in this whole climate catastrophe ruse. Activists can't bring themselves to see this.

Another thing that I think about is all these wind turbines pulling massive amounts of energy out of the atmosphere. How can this possibly not be altering the climate? I almost never see this discussed as an issue.

I would build/buy one, just because I like being different.

What are they doing with the gauges? Also where is the big freaking LCD screen.

Back