• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

SSP Coupe Suspension Specs?

Ponyman66

Yak, yak, yak
Anyone know what, if any suspension parts were specific to the SSP (Police) package coupes? I've seen conflicting info that says the suspension package was the same as a GT, and then some generic statements simply saying that got a heavier suspension. I had a close friend who works at a local Ford dealer parts dept. look up the sway bar. He told me it was the standard GT bar. I trust his knowledge of Ford parts because it's the only place he's EVER worked...I mean EVER! With that said, I believe his statement was based on the documentation he had on hand. I wouldn't be surprised if the parts list showed a GT sway bar as a service replacement.

The reason I'm even asking is that I own a '92 SSP coupe that was totaled out. I bought it for the drivetrain. The car is pretty much stripped down now, with the exception of the suspension. I'm about to send the body off to the scrap yard, but don't want to just throw away some unique parts! Thanks!!

The only unique suspension item I can think of was the HD rear upper control arms used on SOME cars. That part is still available new, and is a popular upgrade item for regular Mustangs. Probably not worth the effort to pull them. The swaybars, springs, shocks, brakes, etc were all standard 5.0 stuff.

More info here: http://www.sspmustang.org/

Been trying to think of any parts I might need from you, and haven't come up with anything that I don't already have covered... :shrug

Thanks Bob. After owning the car for about 8 months I discovered it was an SSP body while checking on some body parts for a friend that had wrecked his Cobra. Man was I shocked!! I checked the SSP website then and discovered that the VIN one digit below it was registered. The guy I bought the car from is a big Fox body fan and has 10 or so cars. He had driven it for a number of years before it was totaled (with him driving it!). I let him know it had been an SSP car and he was as shocked as I was. I'm VERY sure he would have never sold it, let alone sold it for the $800 I gave him for it!

My offer I posted on your build thread still stands if you run across some goofy little piece that you just can't find. If I've got it, you're welcome to it. I just need to get the shell gone, but I'm gonna squirrel away all the nuts, bolts, plugs, etc. I also stripped all the wiring and plumbing. The car is TRULY down to just a shell. Unfortunately due to the severe damage from the accident, even the special floor pan reinforcements are trashed. This puppy was hit HARD in the rear!

p.s. While I've had the motor/tranny sitting in my project car for awhile during some fitting and mock up, I pulled it all back out this past week. Just tonight I started pulling the motor down for inspection and cleaning. The thing looks almost new inside!! It's had the water pump replaced in the past, but that's the only work that I was able to locate. It should be SWEET in my '66!

Soon, very soon! I'm getting them together to post on the build forum. What's funny is I recently finished the floor pans on the right side. The wife said, "You really need to be taking pictures as you fix things". She didn't realize I have been over the past year!

Back