• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Saw a Rivian truck today

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
So I took the '67 out for a sunny day drive. On the way back a truck turned in front of me and it was a Rivian pick-up.
Rivian pickup.jpeg

I can’t stand the front end. My son has seen several running around down in LA. He likes them, but he also is only 26 so he hasn’t learned any taste yet

I can’t stand the front end. My son has seen several running around down in LA. He likes them, but he also is only 26 so he hasn’t learned any taste yet
You got that right !!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I have liked the styling of these since I saw the first drawings years ago. I always figured at some point someone would stand up and tell whoever was behind that ridiculous front design that it had to go. Can't believe it made it to production. Shame because the rest of the design aesthetic is really good. Fix that front end and put a Godzilla in it and I'd buy one.

EVs need to get away from the 'there has to be a radiator box thing in front' styling . And at least this is trying. The Dyson fan look headlights are a good start.

EVs need to get away from the 'there has to be a radiator box thing in front' styling . And at least this is trying. The Dyson fan look headlights are a good start.
They make it look like a comical face. Being inset from the edge makes it even worse. I've seen renderings where they were rotated horizontally and it made a huge difference. I'm all for taking risk with design but you have to know an error when you see it at this level.

I like the styling. Lots of cool things about the trucks capabilities too, given it's electric. Wife almost got a job with them but they still have some kinks to work out with their hiring processes. Just looking forward to seeing where they go. Ford is still trying with the Lightning and Maverick, so you can stay brand specific. (Although Rivian has some Ford backing as well)

At one point, I thought Ford was planning on using the Rivian platform for the electrified F150. Not sure how that all played out. Anyone know just how much they might have used/shared?

You think those fan looking headlights are a good start? Old age is really setting in Mike!

It's my understanding that Rivian is targeting 1000 trucks delivered by the end of the year. I saw my first one in the neighborhood a couple of days ago. While the styling is polarizing, around here the Tesla is as common as a VW Beetle was in the 1970's, they are everywhere. Note I didn't even mention the annoying Tesla drivers who seem to have seized the award for "worst drivers" in these parts from Audi.

I'm generally not a truck guy but I could see myself with a Rivian R1T. In my world, 835 horsepower and 900+ ft/lbs of torque is a compelling reason to consider such a truck. To each their own.

For all the power and torque EVs brag about an 80's Yugo would still beat ALL of them in a short trip of say 350 miles start to finish. $70k for a local run-about just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. And I was at one point really thinking about grabbing one of these trucks a couple years ago when the buzz started.

I drive a lot. 4-5 hours legs are more the norm in my line of work. Sometimes more. My days are long enough without having to add in more time for charging stops. Let the tech improve to where you can go 500+ mi on a charge and I think EVs start to make sense for a lot more people. Of course that needs to happen at a price point of less than $40k (more likely closer to $30k) before the masses can get in line.

I agree Terry. The masses will join in when the price drops. But with all new tech the luxury market is first because they can financially support the new tech to go further with the product. Way back in ancient times the new tech was home video recorders. These things were huge and cost over $1k back then. Look back at auto. Same thing. But now auto companies realize that is where the market is going and they are going to fight to get their market share. Meaning better cars and less cost to us.
Case in point. The MotorTrend COTY...Lucid. $170,500 and 481-520 miles per charge. Built as a luxury car not like Tesla. The tech in a Lucid will change the market.

Back