• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Oil / water sensors

limeyboy

I want to fit oil ad water temp gauges but still want to keep the original ones working ( dash was re-conned properly by the PO ) the gauges seem to work fine with the oil pressure moving up to high and as she warms up it drops to about the middle. I'm thinking of changing the cam next year so I will do an engine health check, compression test, temp check and want an actual reading for the oil pressure.
The water temp I'm going to put into the water pump as I have MSD ignition so dont use the vacuum / heat sensor and I've bought an adaptor for the sensor I have.
The problem is the oil sender, I think it may be a pukka Ford one in there and works well, so I've been soaking the thread ( as best I can) for a week and driving the car to heat the engine up and trying again to free it every now and again but it wont budge.
I dont want to rip the can off to get at the fitting so is there anywhere else I can put sensor ( the one by the oil filter and fuel pump is a bit busy as I have power steering ) or any more ideas of how to get the sender off without wrecking it?
Thanks for any ideas and pictures to go with them please!!

Do you have the extension on the sender? There's a hex body extension with a 45deg female fitting on the sender end that goes in between the sender and the block. I don't know what kind of space you have back there, but it might be possible to remove the extension and then get the sender off on the bench.

Lacking that, PB Blaster and a torch to loosen it up.

As mentioned by Starfury - here is a pic - this is what I used on my '66. Not sure if the thread sizes are the same for your '70 or if there is enough room for this application?

9b339-1b_20180705090704.jpg

John

As mentioned by Starfury - here is a pic - this is what I used on my '66. Not sure if the thread sizes are the same for your '70 or if there is enough room for this application?

9b339-1b_20180705090704.jpg

John
Does that have a second fitting? Mine definitely doesn't...but that's really cool. I disabled my factory gauge to install the fitting for my mechanical line.

Sadly I dont have the extension piece and I cant get any heat on it.
I now see I should have taken it off when I did the lifters back in the spring, see photo!
I've been trying to soak the thread as best I can, I'm in no great rush so perhaps a month or two of soaking and running the engine will free it.
I've found an extension with 1/4 npt male and 1/4 npt female on the other end with a 1/8npt female on the side so I'm all ready when (if!) I get the old one out.

20210701_154808.jpg

Back