• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Next!?!?

tarafied1

Well, now that the 2007 conversion to a 2012 is drivable (are they ever really done?). I have several things I want to do next:
A. Lightning, pull blower and clean intercooler (prone to fill with oil from PVC). Add a catch can and get new/better fuel pumps. (now the 07 is running I can take the Lightning apart!)
B. 93 GT, get it running better. blow it up at the track... build another engine. It runs like crap and is super loose. Was a nitrous motor and was run hard!
C. 67 Mustang, pull the 502 and replace rear main seal with Kaase one-piece seal. Will involve pulling engine and trans together and completely dismantle the 502 to take out crank for the new seal. (Not wanting to do this but I can't put it off forever!)
D. LS swap the 72 Chevy pickup. 350/350 combo is really tired. Have a 2001 GMC doner...
E. 69 Mustang, start a major project........... needs EVERYTHING

options,
Forget about the Chevy truck, put the 502 in the 93GT and build a EFI small block for the 67 to make a better touring car, sell the 69 to Bill and leave the Lightning alone!?!? Or,
Be lazy and just drive some of this junk as is...

How bad is the rear seal in the '67? Whichever way you go with it will be a lot of work. For the amount you drive it is it so bad you can't just live with it? If you yanked and went small block route would you drive it enough to warrant the effort? I ask this stuff looking back on what I do/did relative to how I actually use the car or will the truck. I spend so much time and money making everything as perfect as I can and easily serviceable, etc. and then I am lucky to log a thousand miles a year on anything. At that rate nothing will ever need replaced but I would have spent countless hours making sure it would have been easy had it needed done! When I get to the '31 it will be all about getting it drivable asap! The old life clock keeps ticking...

And Craig's option choice is.......

Add 5 more projects to the yard and still get more done on them then I would. Lol.

I'm with Terry on 67. Depends on how bad it is.

In hind sight I wish I wouldn't have wasted all the time and effort on my 70 EFI swap and just rebuilt the original 302. It was numbers matching. But now I drive it as much as possible and try to stop myself from some extra projects to it so it's drivable.

The fox I would thrash it until it's dead then build a kick ass new motor.

LS swap the truck.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I stood around my pile of projects the other day and realized I have more projects than I have life left. So I am concentrating on those that will bring me the most smiles per mile. My two 56 pickups may never see the shop, so I am considering selling them off to the next sucker.

For your list, it seems you could do all of the projects A-D and still have less time and money invested than dealing with E. If you really wanted to do a full rebuild on the 69, then I would shelve the other 4 projects for now.

Craig.
Whatever and how much you do , when you are having fun .....just do it.
Maybe we have " a pile of projects bigger as we have life left " , but that doesn't matter .
Most of us here have reached a point in our lifes that it is time to enjoy MORE of our lifes .
If that is working on cars or having road trips.
Its time to have fun at the most. Ask KBMWRS . He has the right attitude ! :D

thanks everyone for the input. I keep forgetting I am getting old! But as Bruno says I do enjoy this stuff.
The rear seal leaked when the engine was on the dyno. Before I put it in the car i put another seal in, still leaked. It has leaked since day one. It's not bad but it is annoying. I have put it off for years now because I have the Impala to drive long distances. I won't take the 67 on a long road trip with the leak. I just really want to make it right so I can take it on power tour or cruising the coast or whatever. The car is a blast but a bit scary and obnoxious so I also thought about making it more "civil" like the Impala. The LS3 starts right up, gets 20mpg and I can have AC. The 502 could go EFI to make it less fussy I guess. But no way to cram AC under the hood. I am leaning toward just fixing the leak and put it back together as I do love it and I have the Impala for cruising. The fox I plan to just beat the crap out of it till it blows up. I did think I'd like to build another big block but to be honest I may stick with a SBF. It's already setup pretty well for one.
If i was smart i'd sell the 72 pickup and the 69 Mustang...

There is a LOT to be said for having a ride with good drivability. I absolutely love an old 60's/70's even 80's style build with an over the top rowdy cam, massive double-pumper, etc. A blast to pilot around the local streets and garner lots of oohs and aahs. That special feeling of your kidneys being jostled about while your sinuses burn from the stench of raw unburned fuel. It's all great until you need to really travel any distance. I always tell people wing windows are a poor man's AC but spend anytime on black vinyl on a late July afternoon and even the most hardcore guy will silently admit actual AC sure would be nice.

For anyone fortunate enough to be able to have multiple rides the smart play is to have at least one cool, fast but comfortable choice in the stable. That's why you see so many LS swaps. Sure the power is easier to build but the real draw is all the associated creature comforts that come with such a set-up. Very similar logic behind my choice to go with an over the top blown flattie with a triple 97 induction set-up...wait a minute. SOB. Did it again. Idiot.

Back