• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need Rear Body Help

jdomke1

I’ve got a ‘72 Mach 1 I’m restoring. There was rear end damage I failed to notice when purchasing a few months back. Bondo does a great job of hiding things. What I neglected to do was adequately document by photos what I was doing and what it looked like before ripping it apart. I’ve got the Ford Body and Parts Manual so I assumed I was covered. The manual does a great job of documenting the front end but the rear only focuses on the bumper, etc.
Here’s what I’ve replaced so far: trunk pan, inner wheel well, taillight panel, rear lower quarter panel along with the well inside the trunk because it was rusty and part of the damage. Also, the right frame from about the shock back.
Where I’m stuck is reassembly. I’ve got the taillight panel back in along with trunk parts. I just can’t figure where to weld those braces that go to the trunk pan and taillight panel. I can’t find pics. I’ve already sent the old sheet metal off to the scraper so no luck there.
Does anyone have photos of the inside of the trunk showing the inside of the taillight panel? All I find see pictures shooting in toward the back seat. I need to visualize some the manual is useless. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since things are opening up all over I'd suggest hitting some cruise nights or a weekend show. With luck you'll find something similar enough you can get a look firsthand which would be much better in my opinion. Could even take measurements (carry a small tape measure in your pocket!). Car guys are always willing to help another out and will surely let you have a look.

I picked up the cd with the Body Assembly Manual. It had perfect drawings and much better details than anything I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The body assembly manual generally cover how to attached stuff to the body panels, See if you can find a "Weld and Sealant" Manual. That will cover how all the independent stamping are fitted to each other.

Back