• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Manual trans swap tko, t56, or.....?

Ancient design. Been pounding on them for literally decades. That's my point. I think Brett pretty much nailed it when he detailed how "user error" is likely the largest contributor to issues. This is why I just can't see going TKO. It's not like I am cheap. You guys followed my build and can do math. Well, most of you ({.})can do math.

I just think unless you're building a full out drag car with slicks and a 488 or better gear, 90% of guys can utilize a mildly updated T5 with great success. Spend your money on something you can really use like four wheel discs or such.

But if your going with anything bigger than an 8.2 deck engine why would you limit yourself? You can make some HUGE numbers with the modern 9.5 deck strokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, the TKO is basically a toploader with a fifth gear.

I do agree about choosing a TKO over an A5. The only reason not to go that route would be high rpm shift concerns, or if you got a deal on an A5 (both apply to my situation).

But if your going with anything bigger than an 8.2 deck engine why would you limit yourself? You can make some HUGE numbers with the modern 9.5 deck strokers.
Reality vs internet boasters. Most 302 based stroker builds are stock block, somewhat budget based and make maybe low 400 numbers at high RPM. A solid T5 will handle that all day, done right. Step up to a 351 block and you can make more power but again most builds really don't. A decent engine might make 500 or so. None of that really matters until you try to lay it down. That's what breaks stuff. On the street, with regular street tires and a typical low to mid 300 rear set on leaf springs is just not going to hook hard enough to be destructive 99% of the time. That's all I've been trying to say here.

I heard the same concerns back when I was thrashing my '02 4.6 with the Kenne Bell on it. At 10 psi it was putting out big numbers and I BEAT that thing hard all the time. People said the trans couldn't take it. BS. I broke 2 of them but never because of the power. I had this habit of powershifting at high RPM that liked to eat up the 2-3 synchro assembly but the torque never hurt a damn thing. Knock on wood, I'm seeing the same with the T5 in my current toy.

I've got nothing against a TKO. Never had one of my own but have driven a couple. Not being my cars I didn't hit it hard but seemed fine. I'm just opposed to spending cash where you don't need to and especially against hacking up a perfectly good floor for the same reason.

I’m not gonna argue those points. My take is if a 9.5 deck is what I’m building I’m not gonna immediately limit myself because of my transmission choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shoulda kept the car and finished it. Then you could show me how right you were. :p

Back