• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mach1Mark's '65 coupe restomod

He's using a CVF Racing pulley set-up. I run the same twin belt system on my car. They make similar for just about any engine. Simplicity of design is likely the reason for two belts. No need to incorporate additional guide pulleys (gain belt wrap advantages) or a tensioner this way. I'm thousands of miles into mine without any issues. Will it cause any? Who knows. I doubt it...but it looks cool!

Didn't know that system. Noticed the lack of a belt tensioner though.
I am more into the one belt setup and thus of one chrankshaft pulley. The A/C compressor brings alot of load onto the belt and therefore I want it as close as possible to the timingcover. Call me old fashion.

Call me old fashioned, I think AC is for weenies! If a car has a wing window, it's all you need.

Call me old fashioned, I think AC is for weenies! If a car has a wing window, it's all you need.
Agreed. If I didnt live this far south. My coupe is a factory A/C car built for SoCal but Ive never had the A/C operable in 42 years of ownership. I see a need now.

Seems you have two serpentine belts ? Why ? Isn't it the purpose to run one ?
You p/s pump and compressor hinders you to run one serpentine belt.
When you have the possibility to run one belt and preferberly on the pulley closest to the timing cover . Less stress on the chrankshaft and seal. I would do it .
Did you check the rotation of the waterpump for future cooling problems ??
my2cents.
CVF Racing doesnt offer a single serp belt for alternator/water pump/power steering/air for the 351W family so I went with this kit. I could have probably gone with the double Vee belt like Monkeystash did but I wanted to ensure no belt slippage in case the horsepower or torque proved too much for the Vee belts.

There appears to be no way to make my current pulley/belt system fit with the room I have and I would need another tensioner for the alternator side. I guess Im shopping for another SINGLE serp pulley system or maybe a double vee belt system.

Attachments

• 20210531 fitment test (1).jpg
    20210531 fitment test (1).jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210531 fitment test (2).jpg
    20210531 fitment test (2).jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210531 fitment test (3).jpg
    20210531 fitment test (3).jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210531 fitment test (4).jpg
    20210531 fitment test (4).jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 11
Isn't this what you are looking for?

0e063928652c59cb82c9d7000b14a148.jpg

Man, that looks so much like this, which might be better for your car:

Attachments

• IMG_7505.JPG
    IMG_7505.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 19
Isn't this what you are looking for?

0e063928652c59cb82c9d7000b14a148.jpg
Absolutely !! And its about three times what I paid for my current CVF system. Im going to try and reconfigure my current system to do what this system does. I have a machinist buddy who can turn a few of my items to re-purpose them.

After getting the pieces I had milled back from my machinist yesterday I spent today mounting everything and re-setting the offset for the accessories. What I am trying to do is working, had to trim a couple of bolt and order another longer bolt. As I progress I think I will need to re-make the A/C inlet hose to to the compressor. I will find out tomorrow. The P/S hoses are fine as the pump is moving back toward the rack. The big question is will my water pump push water if I run the belt to make it spin reverse. I am going to seek out a Subject Matter Expert on fluid dynamics and pose my question. The other option is to have a reverse flow impeller fitted on my shorty water pump.

Attachments

• 014B4375-F737-4A2F-81D1-D00BCF5E1C78.jpeg
    014B4375-F737-4A2F-81D1-D00BCF5E1C78.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 653F8931-EC71-4ECC-BC8D-BBB84076CC0A.jpeg
    653F8931-EC71-4ECC-BC8D-BBB84076CC0A.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 12
  • CF8986F3-2F26-485A-8CAF-501664A642F0.jpeg
    CF8986F3-2F26-485A-8CAF-501664A642F0.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 11
I ordered a new, long, 8-micro groove serp belt last week and it arrived Monday. I just went to test fit it and it fits. I could have probably gotten a longer belt but I didnt want too much slack on my first attempt. I had to move my p/s pump inward a little. The alternator is already adjusted as far in as possible so I will tension the belt with the alternator adjustment.

Attachments

• Test fit of long single belt1.jpg
    Test fit of long single belt1.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 16
Time for an update: I got the single pulleys aligned (I thought) and a new, longer belt but the first time I ran it a couple of weeks ago I shredded that belt too. I decided to install the alternator belt only while I'm working the cooling problem. I finally got the shorter water pump installed (again) along with the 3-1" core aluminum radiator and the 16" super high-volume electric fan. I was also having hard starting problem since I got my Mustang back from having the wiring installed. Last week I was getting the engine up to temp and there was a big water leak from a loose thermostat hose clamp. I tightened the clamp and checked the rest. Decided to wait till later to get the temp up to operating for another day.

Today, I checked the lug nut torque and tire pressures, retarded the distributer a couple of degrees and it started right up. After I coasted through the subdivision the engine temp looked good where last time it was boiling over. I decided to take a quick down and back on the road outside the subdivision. First gear stab, good. Second gear stab, the rear end started to come around a little and third gear I was already above sixty on a 35mph road, so I coasted to the intersection and turned around. Just for good measure I gave it a firm accel test but no step out. Pulled into the driveway and no overheating/boil over. Relief. I may have licked the cooling problem. I will be doing short runs around our area to ensure the temp is not a problem. Now I can work on getting the wheel alignment right.

My wife can't wait for her check ride. She was my first passenger when I got this Mustang 43 years ago this month. This engine is more of a beast than I thought when I took it for the trip around the subdivision last fall. I knew I didn't make enough room for a wide enough tire. Anyway, test and tune a little more and looking forward to finally getting to a few shows this year. This build took ten years which was eight years longer than I expected. Stay tuned for a video.

Last Sunday I lapped the neighborhood for 15 minutes and stayed cool. Im relieved. Also noticed the alternator seemed a little out of alignment with the crank pulley so I found a spacer to make up about 3/16" and it looks better aligned. Now Im focusing on getting the alignment done. My wife wanted me to driver he to her doctor appointment yesterday, she is excited that we're going cruising this year.

Back