• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How particular are you with your underside?

Boom

Donator
I am trying to clean up the underside of my car. At a minimum itll be sanded clean and coated with POR15 and then probably a topcoat of sorts.

My dilemma is with the seams from the new floors that were welded in. They were a lap joint and the top/interior is solid no issues. My original thinking was to then weld the bottom lip closed also and grind till its invisible. But I'm also lazy, hence the question here.

I am just wondering what everyone else has done. Is it worth the time and effort to blend that line completely? I dont want it to become a cavity for rust to form, so maybe if not welded fill it with some sort of sealer/rtv?

Mine was cleaned to bare metal, sprayed with 2K epoxy, seam sealed and finally top coated with Raptor bed liner.

I am not a fan of POR 15. I bought a small starter size kit of it to see what all the internet buzz was about and found it not to my liking. At least not for a finished appearance and I doubt many of the wonderous claims I read about too. That's just my opinion. Doing it my way I have no doubt at all about the integrity of the final product and I gained the benefit of the liner acting as both a layer of protection and also another form of sound control/deadening. It also delivers an outstanding appearance and an easy to clean surface.

I agree with Terry.

Everytime I see por15 it just seems gloppy, maybe poor application.

If I actually cared about my under body I think I'd do a bed liner product instead. But my car is a Rusty pig underneath and no one but me and the occasional tow truck driver are every going to see it.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I have seen POR cone out poor and ive seen it come out great. I think it comes out great on a smooth well prepared surface, going over rough rust it doesn't look as good.

I'm trying to do as much as I can myself besides the actual prime and paint.

A good undercoating is a solid plan too. After the other bits

I have seen POR cone out poor and ive seen it come out great. I think it comes out great on a smooth well prepared surface, going over rough rust it doesn't look as good.
Aside from a clean smooth surface it also needs to be able to flow out and level like any other coating. Unless you put your car on a rotisserie and invert it I don't think gravity is working with you. Can you spray POR 15? That would help but I don't think I've ever seen it done that way. If you did plan to put something like a textured bed liner over it the finish doesn't really matter anyway.

Wow, I've never seen the undercarriage striped before- thats really cool Laurie. So in your avatar shot with you laying down reaching under the car- are you cleaning it? ;)

That picture is one Midlife took of me years ago cleaning my 68 coupe at an MCA National Show. I can barely reach under my fastback without ramps. LOL

Back