• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Had some me time

Time to assemble that diff.
It takes alot of force to crush that crush sleeve between the bearings by tighning that pinion nut !!!
cf8bae416b7d05baafa89870f5929826.jpg
c7622a83ec3771539e5d7800c93569a5.jpg
4674c0ff03cf0931d9ecd1cb6e266030.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

Last edited:
Should I go deeper ?
I did some calculation on which shim I should use for pinion depth.
But after 5 times , taking thinner shims, I came to the tickness that the axle came with ???
Started with .61mm, went up .65mm . Not good at all.
Then took a one step thinner shim.
First pic was with .58mm
Second pic was with .55mm
Third pic is with the standart shim at .52
Should I go smaller ? To me it looks good.
95738ed68d8bd413b3d2323978258f9f.jpg
12d5306f1f6a721eab9683f12b030405.jpg
e84e80adce190886300e0838416754ee.jpg

Axiale movement of ring gear is 0.002 inch
Backlash is 0.009 inch. Tight but within specs.
Final adjustment. Pattern OK ?
Any comments are welcome.
0d74484031ec9b8de992c8745bd31338.jpg
90d775d5a3e7cb283cd5fb3ee4ec8398.jpg
e30c181d81b74ffdb204d12e936c3bb6.jpg

I'm far from an expert but the location of the pattern looks good to me based on all the stuff I have seen

Thats my thought too. Tomorrow I gonna/ try to fine tune it more.
A bit more lower into the teeth.

Ok. Final adjustment done. Backlash ok. Started with a thicker shim as the diff came with but ended up with the same thickness .
Maybe its normal cause the pinion and ring gear are orignal ford parts. ?
Drive side and coast side.
de8e9e403d9f440f8d7aeaa33f72b251.jpg
72864aaf259b94e5ff4d27920e6e61cc.jpg

I appreciate your effort to get it right. That's the differernce between what will be a very satisfying car to own and drive and a never ending project car. Well done!

Thx. Appreciate it. Finished diff.
Next will be the rear end housing but for that it must get a bit warmer outside.
Whats next ?
ad9ba981ff9bba265fa5c7424db3dc05.jpg

That looks really good Bruno, just out of interest as you know I had one made and shipped from NJ for about $1,100 ( $300 shipping :oops: ) and wondered what the parts cost you as I still have my original pumpkin which could be a "spare tru-track" with a different
ratio.

Jeff
Approximatily :
300 € complete 9 inch axle ( cheap)
300 € ring and pinion gear (orig Ford part# )
770 € true trac + rebuilt kit plus shipping/tax
Bought true trac plus rebuilt kit at jegs.
BTW Don't dissamble your pumpkin cause prior dissambling you have to take measurements.!!!

Bruno,
Good tip and thanks for the info :) I'm spending my time trying to get the camber and caster at the moment, she drives OK but as I've changed "everything" under the car I want it set right, I had a friend do the toe in but he cant do the rest but another friend has a Hawkeye system at his business and he's going to try and get clamps to put the Mirrors?? on the front wheels, there is not enough clearance for the standard ones with my lowered front.
Do you ever come across Cleveland engines over there, Hen's teeth here, nothing wrong with mine but I'd love to "tinker" with one, the last engine I worked on was a GSX 1100, 4th gear had a whine so I split the case changed the gear and was then told "they will last forever with that whine"!!!!

Last december I had the chance to buy a fresh 351C 4 bolt main at a very reasonable price. Cause with my freshly " hip replacement " I couldn't handle the 700Km drive to the seller. Damm !!
Now and then a 351C comes up but need totally rebuild.
And then you have shipping from the old continent to that big island !! And Tax since you have that Brexit !!!

BTW. To set up a good front alignment , you begin with the steeringbox.
Inspect when the steeringwheel is in its middle position , you can turn the steeringwheel in equal turns both sides. Otherwise your steeringbox imput shaft is not centered when you drive straight out.
In this case , find midpoint of imput shaft steeringbox and adjust steeringwheel to its imput shaft.
Then set toe-in roughly.
Now you can work on caster and camber.
Then toe-in again .
You can shim the front bolt of UCA to get the 3 degree and still manage that the front wheel sits in the center of the wheelopening.
Every time you alter the front ride height , you have to align the front again !!!

You are right about the tax we have to pay now on anything from the "mainland" :rolleyes: that would have been some 700km trip with a "fresh hip"!!
I have tried to set the camber myself ( and I've altered the caster so she self centres a bit better) and she drives "OK" at the moment, so I will wait until I can get it set up properly.

Didn't see that one coming but probably a good idea to limit the projects so you can focus on less and get more done. There is definitely a lesson in there for me!

I probably have more projects left than I have life, but I am not ready to sell any of them yet. I am a few years away from retirement and I figure these projects will keeping me from being a pest to the wife. What I don’t finish will be the boy’s problem to offload when I am gone!

" I figure these projects will keeping me from being a pest to the wife"

Too late.:p

Have to do alot of work in and around the house. Renew my heating system so my solarpanels can be integrated along with a heatpump. Raingutter from the porch and workplace need to be renewed. New HR+ glass in all windows. Do this together with a guy who can handle a silicongun properly.Shooting Poetin.Next week my BIL solarpanels have to be taken down cause his rooftiles have to be renewed. So later on those have to be installed back on the roof.Just a bit busy I guess.

Back