• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finney Reverse Sear

dvturnupseed

Finney Reverse Sear

Season steak and refrigerate at least for one hour. Put COLD steak on the Indirect side and cook to around 100°-115° (I go to 105) at 250-300° + or – grill temp, pull off steak, plate and foil tent. Open vents or crank it up and put steak back on direct around 450° grill temp, Sear until about 5° below your desired doneness......usually about 1-2 (I go 1)minutes a side. Pull and tent again for 5 min, then serve

It might take a time to two to nail it down.

Note: use a remote thermometer with a probe for the first part of the cook, remove probe and plug hole, then do the sear.

DO NOT USE A FORK OR PUNCH HOLES IN THE STEAK!!!! Use a set of tongs.

Quote:

Meat contains active enzymes called cathepsins, which break down connective tissues over time, increasing tenderness. (a fact that is demonstrated to great effect in dry-aged meat). As the temperature of the meat rises, these enzymes work faster and faster, until they reach 122 degrees, where all the action stops. While our steaks are slowly heating up, the cathepsins are working overtime, in effect "aging" and tenderizing the steaks within half an hour. When steaks are cooked by conventional methods, their final temperature is reached much more rapidly, denying the cathepsins the time they need to properly do their job.

With the 'reverse' sear, Finney Method, whatever you want to call it… the key is to take it off the cooker while you bring up the temps. This lets the juices redistribute and the meat rest some. Then when you put it back on at searing temps the juices are back in the center of the meat and don't get pulled out. Searing last just makes sense to me."

I have to agree. Right now the "Finney" method is my preferred way to cook steak, chicken and chops. You can start cooking as soon as you get the coals lit (caution: do NOT use lighter fluid!). Once the center of the steak reaches about 100°, I pull it off and crank up the heat! Throw the steak back on direct and cook until 5° below my desired finishing temp. Presto! As a side note, I'm now just seasoning with Kosher Salt just before I put the steak on the grill. This allows the great beef flavor to shine.

A real simple beef rub that I made, lets the beef flavor shine through.

David & Steph’s Beef Rub # 2

2 TBSP Kosher Salt
½ TBSP Course Ground Pepper
½ TBSP Granulated Garlic
1 tsp Granulated Onion
1 tsp Cracked Rosemary

We also use a ceramic grill/smoker with lump charcoal but you can use it on a gasser too.

Dave

Back