• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

EPAS works great.....

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
So I try to make a update/upgrade each winter..no matter how small. Well its been a while since I did anything to the '67.

I had original power steering and it always leaked, screeched, dripped. I looked into rack & pinion and Borgeson power steering, which needed a GM pump (not in my engine bay) and other mods which I wasn't keen on.

So I looked into the EPAS system. An electric boost to manual steering. So I went for it. Now knowing my fears, and physical limitations...hey I'm older and can't bend so well....I sent my '67 off to have the EPAS installed along with getting my gauges working (fuel, oil, temp). Seems when I installed my wiper motor I messed up something and the gauges all pegged.

Now I have the '67 back. EPAS and gauges are working fine. Drove it 243 miles over the weekend to American Graffiti and in its parade at bumper to bumper speed (my clutch leg was killing me). So the big question was do you like it. It is different for sure. I had PS of the 60s. That meant one finger steering....with a 3 inch slop. It was easy but at full extension the pump would squeal like a banshee. Now there is a manual effort. Expected since the steering components were changed to manual and the electric motor applies assist. After those miles I can say I do like it. Better control at speed and the slow turns are quite easy. Easier than manual. My old PS was dependent upon engine rpm for the pump so slow barely moving steering was non-existent. Now its great.
The unit is tucked up on the shaft right under the instrument panel. The engine bay is just void of PS hardware. Looks normal.

I like it.

Rule #1. Where are the damn pics?!

Did you go with ac actual "EPAS" EPAS unit or some other brand?

That looks really well done. I assume you have a potentiometer hidden away somewhere to adjust the assist level or does EPAS now offer a system that measures driver wheel effort to adjust the electric support?

That dial is facing downwards right next to the 'fasten belts' light....below the ignition key.

And the tillt collum gives the belly a little more room ??

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

#1003 But depends on build date
also may need steering box. I did not. Kept my old box. I did not get TCP rack/pinion.....
Kit

TCP

Steering box
The quality of the install is why I didn't even attempt it.

Is this slightly smaller than the EPAS version?

Looks the same. It can only get so small and still be viable. Need that gear reduction box, etc. Mike's tucked up really nice. Almost invisible. Really have to be looking for it to see it. I think this one would do the same.

Is this slightly smaller than the EPAS version?

The Microsteer comes with a 30A (24Ft-Lb Torque) Motor-Unit where the EPAS has a 60A Motor-Unit (no mention of Torque).

Microsteer also states an average 2A draw where the EPAS states 9A draw.

So I'd guess it "should" be smaller.

I've been considering the EPAS Kit with the already modded tilt column for my '69 which still has factory (quick-ratio) manual steering. But it has A/C so there is the added ducting as well as a 4-Speed so it is already crowded under my dash !!

Also like the LOWER AMP DRAW of the Microsteer ... may have to look into this one.

Doug

Lower amp draw is a sure sign of less torque. The real question is how much torque is necessary to deliver the assist you are after. All the factory systems I looked into draw much more than 30 amps at peak. Mind you, that peak draw is an initial "hit" when first activated and drops off considerably under continued operation.

From a practical perspective, most people are only looking for powered assist in stopped or extremely slow moving situations such as parking lot driving. Even then, just enough that you're not required to have Popeye forearms to get into a stall. In such an instance I would think even a slightly under powered set-up would manage just fine. Certainly delivering an improvement over a stock manual system.

I think if space is as much a consideration as gaining assist the more diminutive size unit should suffice. The one caveat I will throw into the mix is wheel and tire size can matter. If you are running a big contact patch tire up front more torque may be beneficial. I suppose if you've stuffed a massive 460 under the hood that weight will certainly affect performance too. We've got an old timer around here with such a car and he installed the EPAS kit with good success.

Back