• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Duraspark II conversion.

SELLERSRODSHOP

Hi guys! Back in the mood to fool with the cars again after a few yrs away. Fixing to swap the worn out original points distributor for a Duraspark II setup. Have all new components, distributor, painless Duraspark harness, Ford Motorcraft IGN box & Taylor 718205 coil with the “plug& play” terminals for the harness. My question is on the coil & everywhere I see it asked, it turns into an argument. Even on Taylor’s website they seem to contradict themselves as in one spot it states” no ballast resistor needed” in another, “no ballast resistor included, must purchase separately”.

If anyone is running duraspark with this coil, are you using a ballast resistor? Thoughts & experiences please!

46E0AAA0-325B-436F-9D9B-AE90E14B28D8.jpeg

Personnally I would investigate it by myself.
From what year on did they install the duraspark system ? 79 and on ?
Take the electrical diagram of that car and look up how this coils is feed . With or without a resistor.
Normally is must be shown on the electrical diagram if they used a resistor wire or just a resistor.
my 2 eurocent.

Personnally I would investigate it by myself.
From what year on did they install the duraspark system ? 79 and on ?
Take the electrical diagram of that car and look up how this coils is feed . With or without a resistor.
Normally is must be shown on the electrical diagram if they used a resistor wire or just a resistor.
my 2 eurocent.

there lies the problem. This isn’t a stock ford coil, and all of the aftermarket coils have different requirements... Some require the ballast, some don’t. Taylor is t clear on this one & was just hoping to find someone who has experience running this coil who could say yes or no.

From the Summit website description:
Taylor Ford Duraspark canister coils have special windings and high voltage output. They do not require ballast resistors and they feature the same style connectors used on Ford Duraspark ignitions. For electronic ignitions and late model applications, these oil-filled canister coils from Taylor are designed for high performance.

Back