• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

At the show a guy questions my authenticity of my '67

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
OK...not the car itself but the center console. He states he's an expert on Mustangs and especially the '67 since he has one just like mine and positively knows that a center console was not an option until '68. So he kept asking if mine was a 'late' '67 which maybe, maybe would lend itself to getting a '68 option. I said mine was built 18Jan67 and I doubt if you can consider that late. Of course he doesn't have his car there. He was on the verge of too much beer for the day as were his friends. He kept on noting that he wasn't trying to offend me but he was sure about the console. All I could say was it was there when I bought it. Never checked specifically on the console authenticity but I would check when I got home. Now I've searched the webs and found two sources stating it WAS an option for '67. Cost $50 and required a radio. He went on about how he knows his car and built it up and rebuilt the engine and trans and puts out 400+hp. Uh...okay. He than asked about if I had over heating problems which I had and told him what I did to help. I also mentioned that my fuel line was routed along the tunnel and I moved it to the '68 style of along the pinch welds away from the exhaust pipes running along the tunnel. I asked where his was and he didn't know. So much for knowing his car.
Ahhhh...car shows. People are funny.

7 PEOPLE YOU’RE GUARANTEED TO MEET AT ANY CAR SHOW

7. The Know-It-All
Everyone has heard this person, even before seeing them. They know everything about every car that shows up, no matter how rare.

While they can be a font of knowledge, they can also be a bit of a bore. Sometimes it’s fun to look at a car just for the sake of looking at the car.

6. The Nit-Picker
This person will complain about every little thing that could be wrong on a car. If he sees a restored 1968 Camaro, he’ll complain that they used the grill from a 1969 Camaro because of some tooling mark on the grill.

They never seem to enjoy themselves at the car show, which makes me wonder why they come in the first place.

Possibly to find that rare unicorn that’s truly “perfect” in their eyes…

5. The Gatekeeper
This person annoys me the most, to be honest. They seem to want to decide what is allowed in a car show and what isn’t.

If you dare to show up at a car show with a car that’s deemed unworthy, they’ll make sure that everyone around them knows that “this car” isn’t worthy of being shown.

You’ll generally find them complaining about either the car that’s “too new,” or the car that isn’t “up to the matching standards.”

4. The Dad
Ok, this is pretty specific in my case, but it’s my dad who walks down the rows of a car show saying, “Yeah, I had one of those, I drove that model for a few years, and that one, but in blue.”

I would just sit there, astonished, wondering how he could have been so dense. “Why didn’t you keep ONE of them?!?!”

I can’t complain too hard, though, because no one knows at the time what car is going to become a collectible classic. You can guess with some, but not all of them.

3. The Teen
I’ve seen the Teen at many shows that I’ve been to. They are wandering around telling their friends, “Yeah, when I get my license, I’m going to get one like this! But, I’ll make it better by doing?.”

No, just no. Don’t finish that sentence.

Whatever you would “fix” about that car most likely doesn’t need to be done, and the person who made this car likes it the way it is.

2. The Photographer
Never get in their way! Wow, will you get in trouble!

They are there to document the car show for the rest of the car-loving world, and heaven forbid you walk in front of them while they are setting up that perfect shot.

You’ll recognize the Photographer because they’ll be weighed down with photography equipment. They’ll also be the ones lying on the ground to get that perfect shot.

1. The Enthusiast
Think of all the times you went to a car show and saw someone walking around with friends, talking to the people showing off their cars, and having a good time.

They appreciate the work that goes into a car and enjoys what is at the show no matter what type of car it is. The Enthusiast knows that the people who bring out their cars to be seen do it for the joy of showing off something they love with others.

Be an enthusiast, enjoy the car shows and have some fun. Pass your love of cars on to your children and your friends so that it’s not lost generations from now.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

7. The Know-It-All
Everyone has heard this person, even before seeing them. They know everything about every car that shows up, no matter how rare.
Yes he was there. Wore a safety vest over his jacket. Had a very nice black Karman Ghia...nice motor, turbo charged. Came over and looked at my MSD ignition and stated its going to burn up. What? Yep those get very hot and burn. Be careful. Oh..okay I said its been fine for 20 years but I'll take your advice and tear it out.

5. The Gatekeeper
This person annoys me the most, to be honest. They seem to want to decide what is allowed in a car show and what isn’t.
I can say I have been in this position. Brand new Mustangs at a show and winning. What?
Worst was a Pontiac show I was in and I guy just bought a new Solstice the day before from across the street dealer. He won for best two seater. There we were with a 25 year old Fiero is beautiful shape is shock.
4. The Dad
Ok, this is pretty specific in my case, but it’s my dad who walks down the rows of a car show saying, “Yeah, I had one of those, I drove that model for a few years, and that one, but in blue.”
Give this guy a break. No on knows what will happen to collectibles. And life gets in the way. If you were 20 with a new family and someone gave you a classic and you had no means to even store it. You sell it. period.

3. The Teen
I’ve seen the Teen at many shows that I’ve been to. They are wandering around telling their friends, “Yeah, when I get my license, I’m going to get one like this! But, I’ll make it better by doing?.”
Had one of those. He said his uncle gave him a '68 Cougar XR7. He's making it better. Asked what size my engine was (hint air cleaner cover and fender notes this)...then asked if it has hydraulic brakes. I said most cars have had hydraulic brakes since the 1930s, okay maybe before.
Then the math wiz asks how long I have owned it. 20 years......Are you the original owner? I said its 54 years old and I have owned it 20 years does that tell you anything? No education here.
1. The Enthusiast
Think of all the times you went to a car show and saw someone walking around with friends, talking to the people showing off their cars, and having a good time.

Many nice people like this. Offered their appreciation of my car. Nice

Your console dude was suffering from FOS syndrome. (full of something). ;)
My 67 Mustang did not come with a console. But I took it out of a totaled 1967 GT fastback. (Today that Mustang would be restored, but in the 70’s it was just another wrecked stang). But the one thing I have observed about the 67 console is the slider door handle. 2 different types. Rectangular one and a longer one with smooth rounded edges.

fd

Aside from the "Photographer", I've got a bit of all those in me. Most guilty of the "Gate Keeper" least of the "Nit Picker". I've no time for late model cars that are basically stock save for some cheap vinyl sticker add-ons or something akin to a cold air intake, smaller pulley or tune. The last few years its becoming more and more the Charger-Challenger/Camaro/Mustang late model circuit anywhere you go. Bunch of guys with huge car loans and little to no actual automotive skills. Could probably stand them if they just didn't open their mouths to pretend to be "car guys". I can appreciate just about any car provided the owner did the work themselves. Far too many guys simply pay the bill rather than bust their knuckles anymore. Again, I can let it slide until they start masquerading as being more involved in the making of their cars. Yep, I'm that asshole. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing some clown with a new Hellcat getting the attention the real builder of a clean ride deserves.

Last edited:
Mike:

If your console expert learned that your car started out Dark Moss Green with a Black interior he would likely $hit in his pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, Jeff

Mike:

If your console expert learned that your car started out Dark Moss Green with a Black interior he would likely $hit in his pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, Jeff
Yeah I should have told him that. Then he really would have believed it did not come with the car.

Back