• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

07 GT500 build-up

d_ford

I'm getting ready to drop some serious coin on my 07 Shelby GT500.
I bought the car new and have planned since the beginning to do some work on it to make it faster and handle better. The car is no slouch from the factory but it has so much more potential in it. I'm going with a new whipple blower, twin 75mm throttle body, upgraded intercooler, dual fan heat exchanger, lowering springs, suspension work, short throw shifter, and 3:73 gears in a Detroit tru-trac differential.
It should get me close to 660-700 rwhp on around 17 lbs boost to keep the tune safe for the engine. I could have gone with more boost and had the timing changed and ended up with a lot more power but to be safe I would have to increase the fuel with a boost-a-pump and different injectors and run torco octane boost in every tank. The guy that owns the shop said if I want more later I can change cams (big bucks) and the sky will be the limit. Plus if I do it that way I can still tune for 93 octane and not have to worry about buying fuel additive.
At least now I should be able to enjoy the car more and go further later on if I get bored with the 700 hp lol. I can't wait!

700 rwhp..... I think you'll get sick of buying tires before you get sick of only 700 rwhp.... My neighbor should be home with his black 2013 GT500 today. I cant wait to see that thing!

07 GT500; that has the cast iron 5.4 if I remember. Ford over engineered that engine and you should be safe with a little more boost. How does that saying go? Too much horsepower is just enough. You however might want to think twice before you flair out the fenders for some 335 meats in the rear like the Shelby 1000 :sarc

fd

I won't be doing any mods that can't be reversed. Bolt on stuff only. The shop contacted me today to let me know it's all buttoned back up and just waiting now on alignment, (which should be finished by now) and tomorrow they will put it on the dyno and fine tune it. After that's done they'll road test it and it will be ready for me to pick up. Naturally it's supposed to rain Monday so more than likely I won't be able to bring it home until Tuesday. This oughta be a fun drive home!

I picked the car up today and I'm seriously impressed! It has tons more power and with the suspension mods it handles so much better. It's like driving a completely different car!

So how many horses in a ton? :sarc I can only imagine how well it handles. Just putting better tires on my 07 makes it handle better, someday maybe I can upgrade the suspension. So what are the "bolt on" upgrades to your suspension.

fd

The wife and I are getting ready to take it out for a drive now. The difference is, she's going to drive and probably scare the shit out of me lol.
It didn't make as much hp on paper as I hoped, but the shop owner said it's because I changed to 3:73 gears. He said it's like riding a 10 speed bicycle, when you are in the lower gears you can't utilize all of your energy to make the bike move...it pedals too easily. He said if I had kept the 3:31's the dyno numbers would have been higher. It still made 636 to the rear wheels. he had another one in the shop getting the same mods but with the stock rear and it made something like 680 to the wheels.
It really drives nice. If you stay out of the throttle and drive normal you would never know that any mods had been done to the engine but when you mash it your head gets slammed into the headrest and you can't pick it back up until you let off. It goes straight and is easy to control though. The M/T ET streets I put on the rear really bite and the car launches hard.
Wish me luck, wifey has the keys!

I need to get a go-pro, those cameras are awesome. We made it back fine. She didn't drive it too hard. After a while she pulled over and wanted me to drive so I could show her what it can do. She giggled like a school girl even after the rear tires broke loose at about 60 mph, lol. Gotta love a gal that loves speed.

Back