• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wow, what an afternoon! Pull up a chair and a beer, it's a loooong one.

A

Anonymous

The outlaws finally left this morning...a good thing! Then about noon all hell broke loose weatherwise. EBS cut in on the radio and said something along the line of, put yo head between yo legs and kiss yo ass goodbye type of crap.
I went outside after looking at the radar and sure enough, nastyness was rolling in.

74_10_08_09_7_58_22.JPG

After a few pics of the oncoming Armageddon, the wind picked up and I could see the wall of water coming so I went inside, grabbed the puter and watched.
After just a couple of minutes I could tell this was not an ordinary Heartland blow, the wind was howling, tree parts were flying and the power went bye bye. The screens in the west facing windows got blown out and tossed far away, the storm door was twisted and practically ripped off. I look out the south window just as my large temp gauge goes flying off into the netherworld. Downspouts and their drains vanish and I decided it was time to head for the basement.

As I'm in the basement listening to what sounded like the house being ripped apart, the hail starts beating the snot out of the metal siding. I'm thinking to myself; it really does sound similar to a train (said rednecky with toof stickin out).
15 - 20 minutes go by and it's still howling and I'm thinking that can't be tornadic....doesn't last that long. Another 5 minutes goes by and I can tell it's letting up, so I go back upstairs. Now the wind is just beating the tattered storm door, slapping the side of the house...how the glass never broke is beyond me.

I let the wind die down a little more and headed outside to check for damage, amazingly enough, the worst was the storm door, a few screens and downspouts and lots of trees and limbs down. Deb's garden was stripped clean, looked like someone cut everything off at the ground. All the trees were damn near stripped of all their leaves. The nearby corn and soybean fields...nothing but sticks standing.

After about an hour of checking damage, I call the local power company and they tell me power will be out for some time, possibly days due to all the snapped power poles. No problem, I'll just fire up the generator I've had since the last ice storm. I keep it full of gas and start it up regularly to keep it in tip top shape, ready for the next power outage (which happens frequently out here). I fire it up and run it for about 30 minutes, shut it off and take a break.
Deb comes home around 4pm with a trunk load of groceries, I fire the gen. up again to offset the loading of the food into the fridge and then back off after another 30 min running. Another hour goes by and I go to start it up as we eat dinner (cooked on the grill) and NOW it decides to say F you, I'm done. I tear it apart to see what's wrong and for some reason the carb is flooding bad. It's a simple carb, nothing to take apart but a couple of screws....I feel like Duane now, looking at this simple P.O.S. that's going to cause me to loose all that damn food she just bought and loaded into the fridge :expl

After who knows how long, I decide this just ain't gonna happen, so I call my B.I.L. and see if his generator is working...yes it is and they were unaffected by the storms (only 20 minutes away). We hop in the truck, drive there and pick up their generator. Drive back into Council Grove, fill up 3-5 gallon jugs of gas and head home. As a joke to Deb when we left the house I turned on the front porch lights. Since our house is on the highest hill, you can see from a couple miles if the lights are on. As we get closer, I see they are not so we both kinda chuckle and realize that the power may really be out for some time. 1/2 mile from the house, still no lights. Turn down the long drive and round the corner and :wtf the porch lights come on :yikes. We both start laughing our asses off in disbelief :rofl

Moral of the story, if your power goes out for an extended amount of time, go get a generator and fuel.....guaranteed to bring it back on!

Oh yeah, this is the 2nd time in 3 years that the same power deal has happened (get a generator, come home, power comes back on, kick my own ass for driving...buying fuel, etc...)

Ya know whats funny, the other day you posted that the Mustang was in the trailer ready for Wed, I started to reply and say "don't trailers attract tornadoes in KS", but I didnt post it cuz I didnt wanna jinx ya....

"Fast68back" said:
Ya know whats funny, the other day you posted that the Mustang was in the trailer ready for Wed, I started to reply and say "don't trailers attract tornadoes in KS", but I didnt post it cuz I didnt wanna jinx ya....

It was doubly safe; in the trailer, inside the barn! Good thing I put the little blue Fucos in the garage, it would be in the next county.

I checked the local info and they are saying we had 80-100 mph winds, but it was not a tornado, just long duration straight line winds. By far the worst I've seen after 16 years in Kansas (excluding the 2 tornado's)

"lethal289" said:
Glad everything is ok for ya. Im glad you can still see toto. :yikes

They found Toto, he landed in Missouri :pep

"Snuffleupagus" said:
Awesome, that storm is heading straight for me now, just in time for the morning rush.

Enjoy

I know I sure did :crazy

Here I thought torrential downpour and missing the county fair mudbogging sucked! :rofl Glad to hear you guys escaped unharmed...it sounds like it wouldn't have taken much for things to have ended differently. :yikes

"silverblueBP" said:
Moral of the story, if your power goes out for an extended amount of time, go get a generator and fuel.....guaranteed to bring it back on!

Oh yeah, this is the 2nd time in 3 years that the same power deal has happened (get a generator, come home, power comes back on, kick my own ass for driving...buying fuel, etc...)

But that's Murphy's Law at work. We installed a generator for a friend of ours after their power went out nine times in one year, and it hasn't so much as flickered since, no matter how bad the weather. Funny thing about that is he lives in a huge new house near the local country club and has AEP (more reliable than the local co-op) and yet his neighborhood has the worst record for outages within 50 miles. :wtf I guess they don't know the value of keeping rich businesspeople happy, LOL.

I was just attempting to check the national news, the Dish must have been blown off it's alignment, all of the transponders are reading Zip

:expl

Add that to tomorrow's clean up list. :skull

"blue65coupe" said:
Mark, you must have a great job. Screw that. And where in the hell do ya'll ski? Flooded corn fields or something?

Self employment does have its advantages!

We ski in my acre pond, just a lot of starting and stopping :dumas

I'm glad it wasn't any worse. Seems that you were or are well prepared for this continuous assualt.

"Fast68back" said:
Hey, I gotta a big ole generator in my garage I need to sell...... :gs roll down and pick it up...

How big??

"70_Fastback" said:
I didn't really see any of this storm Mark. What day was this?

:bird and :bird :bird ........ :bike boy

"KBMWRS" said:
I'm glad it wasn't any worse. Seems that you were or are well prepared for this continuous assualt.

WAS prepared.....not now! but will be again.

"70_Fastback" said:
I ask a legitimate question and all I get is da bird?

Oh gee, I musta mistook that for a smart ass comment....my bad. Yesterday around noon, if you'd stick your head outside once in awhile, you would've seen the clouds and wind :hide

Back