• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

woohoo... took the car to the painter last friday !

steveh326

finally got the car to the painter last Friday, major milestone. he said maybe 2 months (which hopefully doesn't mean 3-4). he's been pretty realistic on everything else so hoping his time estimate is fairly accurate too. in about 30 days I plan to go order the new convertible top so I don't risk any backorder delays and the top can go on as soon as the paint is done. I have all my motor parts too, right after the holidays I'll tear the 289 down for a light refresh so it'll be ready to back in the car.

trying like hell to make the 50th in Charlotte, but it's gonna be really tight.

Steve,
Congrats on the major step, but please don't jump too fast trying to get the car ready for any special event. Take your time using the correct sequence of steps.. Not owning a vert, I'd think that the top would be one of the last items to get installed unless you are having to store the car outside. To me, it would be great to be able to work in the interior without the top. No?

How long do you expect the car to be in paint jail? Typically most cars take longer than what the body shop quotes.

Craig

Congrats on the going to Paint Jail for now. Hope you do not become one in a long list of Mustangers with a paint hell story.

"janschutz" said:
Congrats on the going to Paint Jail for now. Hope you do not become one in a long list of Mustangers with a paint hell story.

trust me I have my own share of stories, last one was a couple years ago I was painting a 1990 chev dually... ended up yanking it from one shop and taking it to another to get finished. whole job ended up costing me almost double, never did get my $ back from the 1st guy. I think that's part of what took me so long to settle on a painter... I ended up rejecting the 1st 2 cause I got bad vibes (real or imagined I dunno).

"cmayna" said:
Steve,
Congrats on the major step, but please don't jump too fast trying to get the car ready for any special event. Take your time using the correct sequence of steps.. Not owning a vert, I'd think that the top would be one of the last items to get installed unless you are having to store the car outside. To me, it would be great to be able to work in the interior without the top. No?

How long do you expect the car to be in paint jail? Typically most cars take longer than what the body shop quotes.

Craig

paint jail expected to be 2 months, so I would not be shocked if it took 3. but my painter was VERY happy with all the work that's been done so far and said it made his job a lot easier. he has mentioned this several times so I don't think he's blowing smoke up my ass.

I guess I could wait and do the top last, I think the only thing it would affect would be the trunk moldings... will see how it goes.

not gonna rush thru it but do want to get it done as soon as possible for a couple reasons. this project has been going on 6 years already... my brother also has a 66 vert, and we've been planning a father/son/brother road trip for several years and my car has been the hold up. dad is 83 now and I want to do this road trip this year if at all possible, and the 50th in Charlotte seemed like a perfect goal to aim for. I also have a side food concession business in addition to my regular 9-5 job, and I get really busy working 8 days a week starting in July so if I don't get it done by June I won't get back on the project until November or so.

Steve,
Yes, your plate with work, car project, dad stuff, seems pretty full. Due to your dad's age, I can see why you want to get er done. Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask as much as needed to again....get er done.

Craig

Conrats on the big mile stone. Fresh paint is exciting. Hopefully it will get done in good time.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

"msell66" said:
Any update on the paint?

sadly no. I seem to be cursed with painters. the winter we've had here on the east coast has him way behind. I am going up to see him later this week and figure out where we are and if I need to pull the car out of there and take it somewhere else.

when I talked to him last week, he said he had 1 or 2 more days on the javelin he's been working on then my car was next. he works in a small shop with limited heat, and this winter has been brutal here, so I can cut him some slack. Now that the weather is breaking tho, if I don't see some progress soon I will have to figure out what to do next. I really like this kid and he does great work, so hoping it all works out.

in the meantime, we have another week of bitter cold weather moved in here in MD... expecting a couple inches of snow today. this f&*king winter won't f&*King end. if I ever see that damn groundhog I am gonna throw him in my snowblower and chop him up into little groundhog pieces.

Good luck on getting it done, live in MD and your right I'm so tired of this winter. Don't think the groundhog will sell to well in your food vending business though, but maybe if you have a event in WV.

finally some progress. car finally made it into his shop last week and he started working on the gaps and lines. thinks it may be in 1st coat of primer later this week so he can start blocking. took him forever to get started on it but now that he is, it seems to be moving along.

holy crap...you have much more patience that I would. Six months in the shop and he is just now starting on it? I hope he is really good.

"kb3" said:
holy crap...you have much more patience that I would. Six months in the shop and he is just now starting on it? I hope he is really good.

yeah I know, I was losing patience as well. I had talked to another shop about maybe painting the car when he finally got started working on it. and yes, he is good and in demand.

It seems like the good ones do run a little later than expected.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"68EFIvert" said:
I don't get it. The only reason one would run behind is if 1.) unforeseen issues extended a project, 2.) the painter isn't experienced enough to know the time needed on work he books...or 3.)they simply book more than they can handle so they never run out of work. With the exception of excuse number one I have a big problem with it.

Even number one should never be more than a week or two. Say they find some unexpected hidden damage that needs repair. How long does it take a real shop to get the part(s) in and do the repair?

I find it crazy people just accept weeks and then months of delays. You don't do it when your central air goes out. Or your roof is leaking. Hell, if you were taking a car in for service and they told you it would be done tomorrow would you be OK if they called and told you it would now take 3, 4 or more days? Hell no!

I just do not understand guys letting painters hold their cars hostage. I just don't. Especially when paying the type of price one does for a paint job. It's not like these guys aren't being PAID. Dollar for dollar they make more than any other trade work on a car by a LONG, LONG way. I just don't get it.

"Horseplay" said:
"68EFIvert" said:
I don't get it. The only reason one would run behind is if 1.) unforeseen issues extended a project, 2.) the painter isn't experienced enough to know the time needed on work he books...or 3.)they simply book more than they can handle so they never run out of work. With the exception of excuse number one I have a big problem with it.

Even number one should never be more than a week or two. Say they find some unexpected hidden damage that needs repair. How long does it take a real shop to get the part(s) in and do the repair?

I find it crazy people just accept weeks and then months of delays. You don't do it when your central air goes out. Or your roof is leaking. Hell, if you were taking a car in for service and they told you it would be done tomorrow would you be OK if they called and told you it would now take 3, 4 or more days? Hell no!

I just do not understand guys letting painters hold their cars hostage. I just don't. Especially when paying the type of price one does for a paint job. It's not like these guys aren't being PAID. Dollar for dollar they make more than any other trade work on a car by a LONG, LONG way. I just don't get it.

Terry,

I am a little unclear here....do you get it or not? :whis

Back