• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Valve Covers

What valve covers should I put on my 69?

• Original Cobra "Powered By Ford" with spacers

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Ford Racing Tall

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Scrap The Ford and get a Chevy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Ok here is the deal. Since I built my 427 Windsor I have had a set of tall Ford Racing valve covers on it. Well back in the late 70s I got a set of original Cobra "Powered by Ford" valve covers (Buddy Bar Casting Company) that I have always wanted to put on my car. Well to use them I need to run a set of spacers with them to clear my roller rockers and stud girdle. So let me know what you think I should do.

Tough call, Gary. I'm not particularly fond of the spacer idea, as it just gives one more possible place for an oil leak. I think the Cobra valve covers would look better, though. Too many of us have the Ford Racing covers for them to stand out in a crowd *LOL*.

If the Ford Racing ones are chromed, they'll be easier to keep clean and you don't have to worry about spacers, but the Cobra ones will look better, IMHO.

Lol.

I had kind of the same problem. I wanted the brushed fin/black crinkle Ford Racing valve covers for my motor, but they wouldn't clear roller rockers so I ended up going with the tall polished Ford Racing covers. They look ok, but they tarnish like a sob.

"Starfury" said:
......tall polished Ford Racing covers. They look ok, but they tarnish like a sob.

That's why when I get around to detailing my engine compartment, I'm going to paint mine Ford blue. While I'm at it I'm gonna paint the performer intake. Going to go for the restored look under the hood.

Your going for that restored look? With that silly assed orange paint it will never be that restored look. :yikes Besides did you know if you paint the valve covers and intake you lose 25 horses? :doh

"Mod9" said:
Your going for that restored look? With that silly assed orange paint it will never be that restored look. :yikes Besides did you know if you paint the valve covers and intake you lose 25 horses? :doh

Damn Gary,
You used to be the strong silent type. You been to the Johnpro/Dave Sanborn speak you mind seminar? :rofl

I can afford the HP loss that will come with painting those parts. I picked up some pointers from the ricer crowd and I will use those techniques to recover the lost horses.

Apparently, for each ground strap from the battery to the engine you can improve functionality of the ignition system. I have yet to see any dyno results, but the hp increase is exponential for each added ground strap. I'm thinkin 10 straps should more than make up for the loss, unless of course I get paint on them.

Did the ricer crowd also tell you to put one of those fart cans at the end of each exhaust pipe? 20 horse gain for each one. :hmm

"Mod9" said:
Did the ricer crowd also tell you to put one of those fart cans at the end of each exhaust pipe? 20 horse gain for each one. :hmm
Yes, as a matter of fact they did. Unfortunately due to budgetary restraints, I can not appropriate the necessary funds for two of them.

"Sluggo" said:
Yes, as a matter of fact they did. Unfortunately due to budgetary restraints, I can not appropriate the necessary funds for two of them.

All your funds are tied up in a possible 1949 Hudson purchase, eh?

"Midlife" said:
All your funds are tied up in a possible 1949 Hudson purchase, eh?

Actually.....I'm holdin' out for one of these
1_23_06_09_2_43_50_0.jpg

"70_Fastback" said:
Why ya gota be like dat...?

I'm one of the few that hasn't been run over by a trike. Trike it to me, bro!

"Sluggo" said:
Actually.....I'm holdin' out for one of these
1_23_06_09_2_43_50_0.jpg

That baby's sweet! It would be a great pit vehicle while I'm at the track.

Sluggo I will have to get a picture of a friend of mines 69 Sportsroof. He has it painted a lime green. I give him crap everytime I see him. Thing of it is he has been winning car shows like crazy with it. It is not that bad looking but I won't tell him that.

Back