• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Thinking to buy an old Ferrari 400i. Am I nuts?

"180 Out" said:
Hi Craig. Please PM me the contact info. I'm definitely interested. If it's a 5-spd that would be great!

P.S. Regarding pictures, here are the ones that came with the Craigslist ad for the $15K car I'm looking at:

attachment.php

Yes 5 speed, blue in color. PM sent

I wonder if this could be it. Blue 5-spd car, 2006 Rodeo Drive Concours d'Elegance. Easy to remember license plate:

5886425060_fd90820b1d_b.jpg

5886362116_b1d66ff114_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the k-jetronic will make things much easier for you regarding the engine operation.

Other aspects of Ferrari though will continue to demand $$$$

I just got some insight into the care and feeding of a Ferrari automobile, from this parts house web page for the 400i - 412 model: http://www.italiancarparts.com/parts/400_412.html. Plug wire set: $625. Distributor rotor: $375. Craigmayna's neighbor, the Ferrari restorer, told me the distributor cap for a single dizzie engine is now $1500. (The parts house in the link probably got tired of the smash and grab robberies and stopped carrying them.) So *that's* how you get to $2500 for a simple tuneup.

BTW, it turns out that the car in the pix, which I just happened to find on the Picasa web site, is the one that's for sale through Craigmayna's neighbor. Very beautiful. I think I'm in love.

That blue one is nice.... It looks like an excellent midlife crisis vehicle!

"180 Out" said:
Craigmayna's neighbor. Very beautiful. I think I'm in love.

Huh? He may be kinda ok looking, but very beautiful? Does Mrs 180 Out know about this feeling?

"cmayna" said:
Huh? He may be kinda ok looking, but very beautiful? Does Mrs 180 Out know about this feeling?

Just his name here may explain that.............180 out......

"Sluggo" said:
The car you are looking at is probably a bastard.
Like a 914 Porsche.
Carries the name but nobody wants one.
Not trying to be a Dick, just throwing my .02 in.

Same thought here.

The car you are looking at is probably a bastard. Like a 914 Porsche. Carries the name but nobody wants one.

Hey! I like the Porsche 914's. They got great gas mileage, were cool looking and relatively inexpensive. I wouldn't mind owning one today.

Just so you know, the Ferrari restorer emailed me last night to say that, after he had reviewed my Stangfix thread and shared its contents with the car's owner, the owner decided I wouldn't be the right kind of guy to take care of his car. I emailed back this morning and asked him to invite the owner also to review the thread and concentrate on the posts that *I* had put up, and not the posts of others, and to reassess this decision. Unless they don't know about clicking on the "Page 2" link, that probably was a mistake.

About the 914, if I recall correctly the European versions had VW-only badging; no Porsche nameplates anywhere.

Shoulda mentioned your love of caviar and hairy Italian women.

First off, I too am a wanna-be '4-R-E' owner and have been for a loooong time. This (or any Ferrari more than ten years old) is a bad idea as a first car. They are like an old Jag in that it isnt going to be reliable enough to use as a daily driver. Second, you WILL need a mechanic as a relative because they DO charge hundreds of dollars an hour to work on them because every mechanic who 'thinks' he is a Ferrari mechanic isnt because he isnt factory trained (which ALL real Ferrari mechanics are. It does make a difference). If you dont have a Ferrari mechanic in the family then you need to become one yourself or you will quickly find yourself advertising your broken Ferrari in the local Nickle Saver newspaper with the words 'needs work' somewhere in the ad. Lastly, I regret to tell you that all Ferrari owners are pricks, moreso than BMW owners. I'm sure by now you have discovered how great ALL Mustang enthusiasts are. We help each other work on our steeds, we go places together an have fun, we like each others spouses/girlfriends etc. Ferrari owners are the OPPOSITE of all Mustangers in this way. I attended the 1984 Ferrari parade at Laguna Seca after the SAAC convention. There were 2000 Ferraris of every kind and color (90% red) and a huge infield of prick owners and their bitchy girlfriends all hating being there. We hated that they were there too. Ruined an otherwise fun car event. My .02 worth.

"180 Out" said:
Just so you know, the Ferrari restorer emailed me last night to say that, after he had reviewed my Stangfix thread and shared its contents with the car's owner, the owner decided I wouldn't be the right kind of guy to take care of his car. I emailed back this morning and asked him to invite the owner also to review the thread and concentrate on the posts that *I* had put up, and not the posts of others, and to reassess this decision. Unless they don't know about clicking on the "Page 2" link, that probably was a mistake.

Well spoken Mach1Mark !

Not only in America but in Europe too.
Ferrari people aren't the nicest people once they join a club.( mine is bigger then yours )

These comments about Ferrari owners could not be more at odds with my personal three-week experience. Through my 365-400 shopping search, and my participation in the Ferrarichat.com owners' forum, I have spoken and exchanged emails with Craigmayna's Ferrari-restorer neighbor and the seller of the red 400i at the top of this thread, I had a long phone conversation on a Saturday with a 365-400 expert (and the owner of many Ferraris) who owns a Ferrari shop in the Toronto area, and I have exchanged personal messages on Ferrarichat with one guy who owns four Ferraris and another who owns one. All in three weeks! I have never met a more friendly and helpful group of people. At least the equal of the members of Stangfix, VMF, and Stangnet. *Alot* better than some of the cranky trolls who used to inhabit rec.auto.makers.ford.mustang and alt.hi-po.big-block-ford-mercury. If you want to see what I mean, browse around in the 365-400 section of Ferrarichat -- http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89 -- and check out the Norcal group, Ferrari Owners Group (FOG) -- http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13 . Check the posts on the bi-weekly Rally and Breakfast that FOG put on yesterday: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showth ... 8&page=379 . I'm not sure if you can see the photos of all those evil prick Ferrari owners and their cars without registering. I'll see if I can link to some in this post:

[non-working links to images delted]

Someone please let me know if these images don't display. They show up when I "Preview," but that may be because they are in my cache.

Back