• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Some local wildlife

A

Anonymous

I installed a barn owl box after our Lab died so Deb would have something to keep her mind occupied. I never thought she would have so much fun watching those little buggers grow and finally take flight. She usually checks on them in the morning and then when she gets home. They finally started flying about a week ago and now they come up to the porch as if to peer into the house and see what we're doing!

Deb went out this morning and came running back for the camera, it's been very difficult to get any decent pictures of the owls, they can be quite elusive. We both went back out to the barn and there was one perched up on the rafter next to the box, looked like it was taking a siesta after a long night of mouse killin.
There are 5 chicks this size and for now, my rat problem is non-existent :toot

BarnOwlandBoxSmall.jpg

That's pretty sweet Mark! A little creepy looking though too.

So you bought them as babies? I've never heard of a "barn owl box". What is that exactly? And since Deb has been around them a lot, are they a little more tame than a straight wild owl?

I was too lazy to build a box, she found this one and bought it back in April. I spent maybe 20 minutes installing it on the north end of the barn, pretty simple really...cut a square hole 17 1/2", slide the box through and attach the steel support bracket.

It took 3 days till a pair of red shouldered hawks made a nest. Took another couple of days till the owls found it and killed (and consumed) the hawks. They laid 5 eggs and then Deb watched as they hatched, grew, blah, blah, blah.

When the adults made the nest, they would fly out if she spent much time peering in. The chicks on the other hand have apparently got used to her and do not fly out (they can now) and don't attack or anything. They have some big ass claws and beaks, no way I'd want one of those suckers pissed at me. I've been out there when they have flown out of the box, they're stealthy birds, not a sound as they fly off!
I heard a racket a few nights ago out front and when I turned the porch light on there were 2 of them on my truck peering into the house, I guess they were looking for a little payback!

The box is kinda pricey, but it sure has helped Deb work through losing Jeb, we're thinking of getting another one and mounting it on a pole out in the pasture so she can watch them come and go from the porch.

These barn owls are about 16" tall, I'd guess the wingspan is about 30-36", damn good mousers, better than having cats run around.

Here's where we bought the box, Mark is a nice guy!
http://www.barnowlbox.com/results.php?ProdCatID=products&CatName=products

The picture of the barn model is the one I took of our box!

That's pretty cool but I've had my run-in with a stupid owl. Long story (not to take away from yours) so chill out. I had a small house in college. Came back one Sunday night and the house was trashed. Stuff everywhere. Went back to the car and got some "backup" before unloading my stuff. Nothing was gone but literally everything had been knocked off dressers, tables, etc. I decided to unload the vehicle and start looking for something. I didn't know what, but something had trashed the house but nothing was missing and all windows/doors were intact. I was going back out to the car (had passed through living room twice already) and happened to look up on the mantle and staring back at me was a f*&%*^ owl. I bout shat my pants. If that sucker had come at me one of the previous two times I WALKED RIGHT BY IT I would've had a heart attack. Sucker had flown down the chimney and destroyed the house. Hmmm, what do I do now. I went to my room, put on jeans, a coat, a hat, and some gloves. No way in hell that thing was gonna get to me. I went and opened the front door, walked around and opened the side door and went back and got a broom. This sucker was watching me and creeping me out. Can't really swat at it due to the location. OK, I'm a good aim. I throw the broom and just as soon as it leaves my hand that sob decides to fly off his perch at me. 3-4' wingspan...hell yes. I freaking fell backwards over a chair, jumped up and slammed into the door, and outside I went. It went into the kitchen so I got the broom and took some batting practice till the sucker was out the door. I ended up not only cleaning up the house but cleaning owl shat off EVERYTHING (been in there for the weekend), and patching a nice hole in the wall where the doorknob went through it. So Mark, I hope you enjoy your freakin' owls but be forwarned. That little sob is watching you for a reason. Stupid bastids.

Damn Duane, I know you didn't think that was funny, but it sure made me laugh reading it. :rofl :rofl :rofl

That's phreekin hilarious :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

You told the story with such visual clarity. Thankfully the only way into my house is through the doors!!

Both stories were great.

Question though....which was brought up in the second story. Won't there be Owl shit on your cars in there? Or is the barn not a place for your cars?

The barn only houses the King's trailer, the boat and the tractor. There are all kinds of barn swallows that live in there so there's already plenty of shat.....it's a barn...in the country!

Boat only stays there in the winter and it's covered up, so it's not a problem. I'd much rather have the owls, since they've been keeping the mice & rats at bay.

Owl flew away after slamming into the grill of the car. He won. It's funny as all get out hearing it but I still get this visual of that thing coming at me without me knowing everytime I think about it. You talk about spooky. They lost all coolness after that day so Mark, enjoy 'em all you want.

Pretty neat---after reading this I can't help but think of the Gomer Pyle episode where they are out in the woods training and Gomer is face to face with sargeant Carter going "hooty-hoo, hooty-hoo"

I'll tell ya, the best part of this thread is Duane's story, been LMAO all afternoon about that.

Sorry buddy.

"silverblueBP" said:
I'll tell ya, the best part of this thread is Duane's story, been LMAO all afternoon about that.

Sorry buddy.
Same here, the visuals while reading it are the best. :rofl :rofl By the way , they are some sinister looking birds, not really mean looking, but creepy.

"silverblueBP" said:

Sorry buddy.
You know that is weird cuz it happened to me also. My first house was built in 1910 or something like that. It had an old coal fire box in the cellar at the base of the chimney. I didn't realize it at the time but birds and stuff would sit on the chimney in the winter to get warm. The fumes would eventually make them pass out. One time one fell into the chimney. When it woke up it was in the basement but it managed to find it's way up stairs. When I came home from work the house was trashed just as you experianced. Things were knoked over or off of shelves and crap everywhere. I couldn't figure out what was going on until all of a sudden this bird swooped at me and I about soiled my self. I ended up doing just like Duane and opened the doors and windows and chased it out. I didn't know how t got in. Then some months later it happened again and I was telling a friend. They said it happened to them and asked if I had a cover on the chimney. I didn't. After that I put one on. It's pretty weird experiance!

Back