• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Should come as no surprise

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
If nothing else I am consistent in this one area. I will change course. A lot.

I don't think I discussed this here so here goes. Likely going a new path with the truck (1952 F1). Everything so far on this build has been modern tech resto-mod updating. Everything except the powerplant. That was to be old old school. Getting lucky and finding the '30 Model A has had me do nothing but rethink all this ever since. While I do have a second flathead engine I could rebuild for the Model A, it sure seems like the obvious path would be to put the completed blown flattie in it and do something else with the truck. A fully polished blown flathead belongs in hoodless rod like the coupe. For the truck something on the other end of the spectrum. Something modern, current. Rather than spend another $20k or so on a second flathead build wouldn't it make more sense to buy something turnkey?

I'm in the process of pulling the cab off the frame so I can finish all the little chassis stuff (brake lines, etc.), bodywork the frame and paint it. Be the opportune time to do the heavy lifting part for the new direction I am charting. That being to do the engineering and mounting parts fab for a different engine and trans combo. Cutting the suspense, I'm thinking 7.3L Godzilla with a new automatic trans behind it.

Looking at it from an expense perspective I'd be saving a fair amount over building a new engine and trans for the coupe. Everything for the current truck plan would swap into the coupe so nothing really wasted. From a time angle, It wouldn't take much to reconfigure for the new driveline. With the cab off it would be pretty quick and easy actually. It would require me to likely have to cut the floor a bit and fab a new tunnel/cover but at this point that kind of work is pretty straight forward for me now. The more I type this out the more it makes me want to go this route. Some may recall the initial thought when I got the truck was to go twin turbo coyote but I caved to the idea nostalgia of the flathead. Well, here we are pretty much full circle. The nice thing is the 7.3L Godzilla fits better than a Coyote would have. In fact, it leaves room for those turbos...???? SOB!

So let's talk this out. What do you guys think? I'm missing this season one way or another with the truck this year. At best if I stayed the course I might get it driving but never painted. Either way I would be painting this winter or more likely late spring when it gets warm again.

Let's hear it!

Maybe you could get a package deal at the Illinois State Hospital for the mentally deranged.

I like the changed direction. The Godzilla package can be purchased at a relatively cheap price, crate motor speaking, and they belong in trucks. I like the idea of the flathead being more on display in the 30 Model A. I approve, you may now continue.

The 7.3 sounds like it'd be an awesome fit in the truck. I know they originally had some crazy tall intake on the engine stock that made it more difficult to swap into cars.

Teresa must be on the verge of a complete mental meltdown.
Oh, have times changed. She is almost supportive these days. Doesn't ask about the money anymore. Urges me to make time to work in the garage. Wait a minute. Uh oh...

Nah. She's cool with it all. Wasn't exactly keen on the Model A but has come around once I showed her some concepts I sketched up. I'm sure she'd be all in on the Godzilla in the truck. It would mean a change to automatic. Factory new car reliability. AC and other creature comforts would make time in it more enjoyable and she could actually be the driver. Afterall, I sold her on it in the first place as being "her" cruise night ride.

I like the changed direction. The Godzilla package can be purchased at a relatively cheap price, crate motor speaking, and they belong in trucks. I like the idea of the flathead being more on display in the 30 Model A. I approve, you may now continue.
I've got a line on a deal that is really good. That's what got me headed this way.

Back