1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Servicing a C4

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain/Mechanical' started by Gas_Pumps, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Gas_Pumps

Gas_Pumps New Member

My C4 was rebuilt about 20 years ago and has less than 8000 miles on it. Who sells the correct filter and gasket for these old C-4s? What type of fluid was most likely used after the rebuild? I have heard that no friction or rebuild kits were made for FA fluid after about 1990 - is that true?

2. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

C4's don't have a true "filter" it's just a screen. You can clean it and reuse it unless it's really nasty. The pan gasket (and filter) is available at any auto parts store (might have to wait a day or two to get one though). My son got his at Auto Zone. As for the fluid, since it was rebuilt and had clutches and bands replaced, the use of Type F is not as important. Type F is a stickier fluid, with friction modifiers that provide firm clutch and band engagement, which also means longer service life. What I have found is that generally it is suggested to use Mercon V synthetic fluid if Type F is not available. Mercon V is compatible with all kinds of automatic transmission fluid types. But both Auto Zone and Advance Auto in my town carry Type F. I have even seen it at Walmart.

3. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

oh and what I have found is that Ford stopped specifying Type F after 1977...

4. Gas_Pumps

Gas_Pumps New Member

Thanks for the help. Had totally forgotten what they put in it if I ever knew. Turns out that the same transmission shop is still there and has some older mechanics that understand C-4s. Most younger techs give me a blank stare when I mention C-4.

tarafied1 likes this.