• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

On the road again....

Day 7 07Jun: A look out the window in the morning said we were in for trouble. Very dark skies and windy. Checked the TV for local weather in OKC and a big storm was coming with winds, 2” hail and maybe a few tornadoes. The weather girl said this all calmly. Just another day. My astute eye noticed that the weather was NW and heading SE. Since we were already om the NE side of town we were actually clear of the worst. We headed out and rain stopped and although overcast nothing bad. Our first stop was Pop’s. A gas station/café/store with over 700 flavors of soda pop…all in bottles. It has glass walls so bottles are displayed on glass shelves. Makes for an impressive sight. We bought a collage of flavors in a 6 pack. Of course it had a Route 66 staple…..a oversize whatever…in this case a pop bottle. Next up and just down the road is the round barn. It was too early in the morning so we couldn’t enter but hey it’s a round barn. Ur next stop was Tulsa. On the way into downtown was a city park which showed off a 2-4-2 oil burning steam locomotive. This thing was huge. I’m sure it made a great sight chugging through the US but not for very long. It was built in 1942 and retired in 1950. Its disappearance a product of diesel/electrics locomotives. Rising high above was a real oil derrick which was once the tallest in the US. Although not a great neighborhood Route 66 through Tulsa shows off many 30s art deco style buildings. On to Catoosa, OK and the Blue Whale. Another icon of Route 66. This whale was built by an retired zoo employee who had a pond where his kids and their kids swam and played. He just wanted a place for the kids to play so he built an Ark (now falling apart) and this whale to slide and jump off of into the pond. This would be a law suit lawyer’s dream. Shallow pond, high jump from tail, steel ladder inside to climb to second story inside whale with safety of no concern. The family noted that no one ever sued, was hurt, nor bitten by a snake. Next up was a nice restored gas station from the 1920s in Baxter Springs, KS. Pic opportunity. And again close by is Rainbow Bridge. This is the last of its type of design on Route 66[MG1] . No longer used as part of Route 66 you can still drive across it…one way. Lastly was Galena, KS. Here were a couple old gas station paying homage to CARS the movie. As with most Route 66 sights to see these were all free. No greedy ticket selling…just have a look and enjoy.

SF 07Jun22 OK KS 1 Pops ArcadiaOK.JPGSF 07Jun22 OK KS 9 ArcadiaOK.JPGSF 07Jun22 OK KS 14 TulsaOK.JPGSF 07Jun22 OK KS 22 TulsaOK.JPGSF 07Jun22 OK KS 33 BlueWhale CatoosaOK.JPG

[MG1]

Day 8 08Jun: Stayed in Joplin MO. Of course the heat and humidity are high. Today’s first stop was at Larry’s Garage. A nice guy that just likes to meet people I guess. He has a 1920’s Sinclair Service Station all Route 66’d up with stuff. All very well presented. Neat trimmed lawn with a Hudson and GMC and Ford trucks and a Packard…I think. We stopped and Joann asked if it was okay to look at everything. Sure, come on in. Then about 3 other cars pulled up and a group of rented Harleys (the French this time). I got a can of Coke from his refrigerator and asked how much. He said take it. Fine, so I purchased a Route 66 sticker not to leave him out. The route now was so close to the interstate and we were meeting friends in St.Louis that I got on the superslab. I know a sin. I really hadn’t planned on more things to see in Missouri except Meramec Caverns. We drove directly there. I had been here in 1966 when we travel/camped from Chicago to Grand Canyon to LA to SF to Yellowstone to Mt. Rushmore back to Chicago. A kid’s memory of a place is different than an adult’s. I also visited here in 1985 just before moving from St.Louis to San Jose. The entrance had changed…..still tourist tacky but the original was much tackier. We took the tour. Expensive and a bad tour. Our young guide didn’t know anything about the cave/history/geology. He only knew the script that they gave him. They projected colored lights and had music playing in their ‘auditorium’ …real smalch. Well for nostalgia I had to go….won’t be back. We then boogied on to St.Louis and spent a nice evening with friends.
SF 08Jun22 MO 1 Larry's Garage SpringfieldMO.JPGSF 08Jun22 MO 6 Larry's Garage SpringfieldMO.JPGSF 08Jun22 MO 26 MeramecCaverns SullivanMO.JPGSF 08Jun22 MO 31 MeramecCaverns SullivanMO.JPGSF 08Jun22 MO 32 MeramecCaverns SullivanMO.JPG

Day 7 07Jun: Next up and just down the road is the round barn. It was too early in the morning so we couldn’t enter but hey it’s a round barn. Ur next stop was Tulsa. On the way into downtown was a city park which showed off a 2-4-2 (*cough 4-8-4 *cough) oil burning steam locomotive. This thing was huge. I’m sure it made a great sight chugging through the US but not for very long. It was built in 1942 and retired in 1950. Its disappearance a product of diesel/electrics locomotives.

View attachment 34560

Nah....the daily reports would have gotten really boring.....no sight seeing .
Family visits and such. And then it was time to boogey home.

At least we would have had some content on here. How do you expect to become the social media icon you dream of being if you don’t put up daily blog posts for the masses to follow?

well..I'm not like some morons on FB that show my eating habits or more for your entertainment.
Although for you watching dust settle is entertaining.:p

I have always wanted to do the route 66 thing. I have done several parts (mostly on the Chicago end...). I have enjoyed the pics!

Get the book " EZ66 Guide for Travelers" by Jerry McClanahan. Its a spiral bound book. He gives turn by turn instructions for the variable years/routes of 66.
He does note many sights to see but you should also gather places along the route that he may not mention.....
Blue Whale
Gemini Giant
Texas Steak House...etc....

Get the book " EZ66 Guide for Travelers" by Jerry McClanahan. Its a spiral bound book. He gives turn by turn instructions for the variable years/routes of 66.
He does note many sights to see but you should also gather places along the route that he may not mention.....
Blue Whale
Gemini Giant
Texas Steak House...etc....
awesome, thanks for sharing that. I will get it!

Back